Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Your Best Mountaineering Beer Story - Here's Mine

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.

Postby Luciano136 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:09 pm

aahz wrote:
Luciano136 wrote:For as much as I love beer, I actually do not enjoy it much after a long hard day. I'm usually way too dehydrated.

It turns out that drinking 1-2 beers with <5% alcohol when you're dehydrated actually helps more than drinking water. There's a scientific study somewhere that demonstrated it in the last year or two. The key is the amount of alcohol though, so the high-octane stuff that many of us usually drink doesn't work for this.

Interesting! But yeah, I don't drink much beer under 5%. I don't mind Newcastle though; that's under 5%, isn't it?

Man, beer is really good for everything :)
Luciano136

Postby lisae » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:48 pm

Luciano136 wrote:For as much as I love beer, I actually do not enjoy it much after a long hard day. I'm usually way too dehydrated.

I just alternate a sip of beer with a sip of water.
lisae

Postby Dan Shorb » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:11 pm

rpc wrote:calling some of that stuff "beer" is generous...I mean....Bud, really DMT??!! Given its lack of taste, is it lighter to carry in or something? :lol:

INDEED. Refine thyselfs gentlemen.

Gentrifying the neighborhood on Burgundy Col:

Yes, its Chuck!
Dan Shorb

I thought your name was bob, too?

Postby rlshattuck » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:14 pm

two guys at the VVR (on the JMT) asked me to please deliver a few Guinness (in cans) to their buddies at the other end of the lake and I said sure . . . but somehow, I forgot their names by the time I got over there and just ended up hearing the echo of my own name . . . had to drink the beers (after a long dunk in bear creek) to put them out of their misery.
rlshattuck

Postby Clydascope » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:37 pm

There's more than one way to cool off with a Bud!

Clydascope

Postby mconnell » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:15 pm

MikeTX wrote:beer snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. i don't let a single drop go to waste.

I agree! Fortunately Bud, Miller, Coors, PBR, etc. don't really qualify as beer so there is no harm done when pouring it out.
mconnell

Postby woodsxc » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:13 pm

mconnell wrote:
MikeTX wrote:beer snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. i don't let a single drop go to waste.

I agree! Fortunately Bud, Miller, Coors, PBR, etc. don't really qualify as beer so there is no harm done when pouring it out.

You just need perspective. Force down some Nattie Ice or Milwaukee's Best and then hate on PBR. :twisted: Betcha won't be whining about how "bad" Bud is then.
woodsxc

Postby Dartmouth Hiker » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:39 pm

Not beer, but I once polished off most of a bottle of wine a friend had brought up to the summit of Moosilauke on a nighttime July 4th hike. :)

One of my greatest regrets back east is not having realized my "drinking a Sam Adams atop Mt. Sam Adams" hike. Someday, though...s not having realized my "drinking a Sam Adams atop Mt. Sam Adams" hike. Someday, though...
Dartmouth Hiker

Postby Luciano136 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:40 pm

mconnell wrote:

LMAO! I don't really care how much it costs btw. Quality has its price. I wouldn't drive a Kia either just because it's cheap.
Luciano136

Postby mconnell » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:14 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:For some folk image is EVERYTHING.

DMT

Nothing to do with image. I don't drink it for the same reason I don't buy wine in $5 gallons. I don't like it. I drink beer for the taste, and most American lagers taste like crap.
mconnell

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander