Zucherhuetl (austria - winter)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Sebastian Hamm

by Sebastian Hamm » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:17 pm

From the ski resort via Pfaffenjoch it tooks 2 hours up. An ascent by feets depends on the snow conditions. If there is a lot of fresh snow it would be mostly unpossible. If the snow is blown and frozen it would be okay. Ask the guides of Stubai-valley in Neustift. By the way, Stubai-valley is one of the coldest areas in the Alps, be prepared. In winter are -25 to -30 degree celsius in a height of 3000m normal. Notice that the glacier to the north of Zuckerhuetl is very dangerous in winter.

Sebastian Hamm

by Sebastian Hamm » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:56 pm

If it will be a good winter, you can dig a snow hole everywhere you want. What do you like more? High alpine mountains, i.e. Glockner area, stubai, oetztal, pitztal - or smaller mountains with forests and much snow, i.e. Wilder Kaiser, Karwendel or Kitzbuehl. But without ski or snow shoes it will be hard to reach lonely areas.

Sebastian Hamm

by Sebastian Hamm » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:23 pm

Check out Pitztal: you can leave the ski resort at Mittelbergjoch. You can dig a hole on Taschach-glacier and make some easy high altidude mountains. Wildspitze, Hinterer Brochkogel or Petersenspitze. This glacier is very friendly in the upper part.

Sebastian Hamm

by Sebastian Hamm » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:51 pm

As I said, you can dig a snow hole everywhere. Lechtal ist very good. It is not very high, but it has a lot of snow every year. Good destination. But there are not very high mountains. If you want to do a peak above 3000 meters you have to go to the mountains at the main ridge of the Alps in the South.

Learning to ski is nooooooo problems. Sometimes I think there are billions of ski-guides in Austria.

Sebastian Hamm

by Sebastian Hamm » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:05 pm

The low budget way to learn skiing: skis with thw front towards the valley and "Jalla!"

while sitting in a hotel room and surfing with my mobile phone on the internet, I am not able to support you more informations about Lechtal, sorry ;-)

I hope you have a good sleeping bag!

Return to Europe