Zugspitze

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
gregorpatsch

Zugspitze

by gregorpatsch » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:38 pm

I'm looking for some more information on the Normal Route (Reintal) of the Zugspitze. Can this route be easily done in a day if I take the cable car down? If so, how much time should I allocate? I have climbed the Alpspitze before, how would the Reintal route compare to the Nordwand Ferrata of the Alpspitze? Thank you.

no avatar
Flachlandtiroler

Re: Zugspitze

by Flachlandtiroler » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:57 am

gregorpatsch wrote:Can this route be easily done in a day if I take the cable car down? If so, how much time should I allocate?

It's a hike, except perhaps snowfields in early season there are no technical difficulties (compaired to a via ferrata).
It takes most of a day so in order to catch the last cable car (~16:30) you should start early in the morning.

SummitPost Page

Martin

gregorpatsch

by gregorpatsch » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:23 pm

Thanks for the information. I am reading conflicting descriptions with regards to the exposure and technical difficulty of the upper portion of this route. There will be a non-climber in the group...would it be worthwhile to bring a harness and runner for the cables section? Thanks again.

Moni

by Moni » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:27 pm

The cables section to the cable station is exposed, but not hard. If your member has problems with exposure or if the conditions are wet, taking such precautions would be wise.

pingzingr

by pingzingr » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:17 pm

Moni is correct. The exposure and wet conditions would be the only thing to bring a rope for. Other than that it is a good beginners route in the German Alps. It was my first mountain when I was seven. Wish I was still over there in Germany.

cryska

It can be done

by cryska » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:46 pm

If you are in good shape it can be done in a day. From the Olympic Stadium to the Reintal hut (half way point) is about four hours. Three of us did it in about 3 1/2 hours but we were pushing it and didn't take a break until about 2 1/2 hours into it. After the Reintal hut is when you really start to make some elevation and even on a two day trip the second part can be very taxing. I've taken about 5 beginers on this route this past summer and I don't think any of them could have done the route in one day. We did it last May and there was still snow past the Reintal hut. We ended up post-holing the second day and we were completely wiped out by the time we reached the top. As for technical difficulties, I took my six year old duaghter this past July and she had no problem from the Olympic stadium to Sonn Alpin (2600 meters). I didn't take here on the last 300 meters because she was extremely tired. However, the last 300 meters is a chalenging scramble in some scree but the cabled way is fairly easy and much on the same lines as the Alspitze via Ferratta. I've never used a harness on the last 300 meters and generally carry my trekking poles in one hand.

Return to Europe