Picacho Peak Comments

mpbroUntitled Comment

mpbro

Nice page, but your description of the route has me a bit worried. Especially the part about old wooden ladders! If a belay is required, you should think about adding a route page. That way, you can describe in more detail the technical aspects of the climb, like what kind of gear you would recommend, whether the belay is mandatory, the recognized difficulty of the climb (YDS or whatever), etc.

Also, looking at the photos, there certainly exists the possibility of multipitch technical routes. If they exist, you could look for links to books or other trip reports on the web which describe these (possibly nonexistent) technical routes.

Thanks,

Morgan
Posted Feb 15, 2002 9:10 am

JohnUntitled Comment

John

Thanks for putting up this page Chris. I wasn't aware of this one either and every search I did last "night" resulted in the 3382 foot tall one in Arizona. The USGS map reference was key as I found the CA map in the USGS index. It turns there there are quite a few Picacho's:
  • Picacho Butte, AZ
  • Picacho Mountain, NM
  • Picacho Peak, CA
  • Picacho Peak, UT
It seems like Picacho Peak, AZ isn't important enough to have a USGS quad named after it ;-)
Posted Feb 15, 2002 10:27 am

thepluggerUntitled Comment

theplugger

Nice page....I just hope I get to climb this one some day!
Posted Feb 15, 2002 5:05 pm

Rahel Maria LiuUntitled Comment

Rahel Maria Liu

Hi brennen,

good page. I only miss some more clear words about all routes (difficulty/length/reputation) besides the one you described and infos about books and maps.

Cheers, Rahel
Posted Feb 18, 2002 10:45 am

darinchadwickUntitled Comment

darinchadwick

The link to your website is supurb. So much good information about climbs and canyons. Is El pico de Diablo on summitpost? If not, why not make a page for it too?
Posted Jul 1, 2002 7:08 am

asmrzUntitled Comment

asmrz

I used your write-up to climb the formation during Thanksgiving weekend 2001. Worked really well. Thanks. Alois.
Posted Nov 17, 2002 7:53 pm

bigwallyUntitled Comment

bigwally

Good page. Good route description. Makes me want to pack up and head Southwest!!!! Thank you for taking Time and Effort and putting this page together so well.
Posted Jan 10, 2003 11:14 am