Picacho Peak Comments

William MarlerUntitled Comment

William Marler

Good basic information. Good work. Cheers William
Posted May 10, 2002 11:58 am

bighigazUntitled Comment

bighigaz

Need a few more pictures... I have a few to contribute if you'd like.

James.
Posted Nov 23, 2002 5:45 pm

Steven CrossUntitled Comment

Steven Cross

One reason I add mountains is so people can add there pictures, so please do add them! I have other pics I'd like to post, but they are not developed yet. I will post them as soon as I can which unfortunatly will not be for quite a while.
Posted Nov 25, 2002 1:46 pm

Steven CrossUntitled Comment

Steven Cross

There are more pics now. Other people have submitted some, and I have submitted a few more as well.
Posted Feb 10, 2004 1:55 pm

rpcUntitled Comment

rpc

Nice page on a cool-looking peak (actually a very impressive looking peak!).

From the base it looks like it can only be done with ropes

We were driving by it 2 days ago and I was wondering the same thing - is there a non-technical route up it?
Posted Jan 4, 2005 8:28 pm

cp0915Untitled Comment

cp0915

Three years ago, while driving through AZ during the long trek from Florida to my new home in Vegas, I eye-balled an unbelievably aesthetic peak. It took me until today to realize what that peak was! I'm dying to get back down there and climb that thing!

Posted Apr 21, 2005 4:55 pm

peakbaggerPicacho Butte

peakbagger

Just wanted to let you know that there's a stunning albeit uneventful Picacho Butte in northern Az. right off I-40. It stands about 2000ft. above the surrounding area, looking pretty burly. Not the case, however. cruised it in 45 minutes. Good view though and lots of lion scat.
Posted Aug 5, 2006 2:50 am

GreenhouseguyNo Cables Needed

Greenhouseguy

I've summited Picacho Peak six times now. On my sixth ascent, I decided to make it more interesting by not using the cables or the plank. I had to crabwalk a little bit on the long sloping rock down the backside, but I was able to find handholds and footholds to get around every cabled section. On the steepest part, I went outside the cables to the right on the way up. There is one good foothold chiseled in the sloping rock above the plank that traverses the small cliff; a shorter person may not be able to stretch far enough to reach all of the holds. I made it up and down without using any cable or plank. It added a whole new dimension to an otherwise easy climb. My Class 3 skills are fairly limited, so a more experienced climber might not have much trouble climbing Picacho Peak without the cables.
Posted Nov 24, 2007 11:57 pm

Sarah SimonPicacho Peak may be closed again

Sarah Simon

Steven,

Geez, here we go again:

"This Park is Scheduled to Close June 3, 2010
At the Janurary 15, 2010 meeting, the Arizona State Parks Board voted to keep nine parks open and close the remaining thirteen State Parks in a phased series of closures starting February 22, 2010, due to six different State Parks funds being swept of $8.6 million. In addition, four parks remain closed due to previous budget reductions."

A lot of us have retired parents in this area, so hopefully they'll keep us up to date and let us know if the closure actually takes place.

Sarah