Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 57.05612°N / 135.28°W
Additional Information County: Sitka (borough)
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2550 ft / 777 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

trailheadTrailhead
This is a 3-5 hour outing which is located close to the city of Sitka. It is an interesting hike whether you are visiting for a day on a cruise as I did, or spending some time in Sitka. The Mt Verstovia trail is a good 2.5 mile trail leading up to Picnic Rock (5 miles roundtrip). If you have time and energy, from Picnic Rock you can continue another mile (gaining ~1,300') along a much less traveled trace heading over to the summit of Mount Verstovia (AKA Mt Arrowhead).
Picnic RockFinal steps to summit

Getting There

Trail in the cloudsTrail in clouds
To find the trailhead, take Sawmill Creek Blvd east out of town a couple of miles. A few hundred feet after you pass Chirikov Drive look for a trailhead sign on the north (left) side of Sawmill Creek Blvd.
Sitka from Picnic Rocksummit view of Sitka
Hike up the Mount Verstovia trail about 2.5 miles gaining 2,550’ and you will reach Picnic Rock Peak. There are a couple of viewpoints along the trail where you can catch glimpses of Sitka below you. The first is about ¾ mile from the start and about 800’ elevation. The second is another ½ mile up the trail.
First viewpointFirst viewpoint

Red Tape

Mount VerstoviaView of Mount Verstovia from summit of Picnic Rock
There is no red tape involved to climb this mountain

External Links

Mount Verstovia Trail

Hiking the Alaska Adventurer Cruise