Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 22.345°S / 42.727°W
Additional Information County: Nova Friburgo
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing, Big Wall
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7421 ft / 2262 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pico Menor is the smaller montain of Três Picos massif.

This granite rock formation with 2262m can be reached by a hard ascent 1h30min later walking. The ascent is made by the left side of Pico Menor wall.

Or can be climbed by two routes called Lacas Loucas 7º VIIa(A0/VIIIa) East Face, finished in 2002 or Chaminé Pelegrini 5º IIIsup A1 East Face, finished in 1965 and repaired recently. In fact, the majority of the routes in Três Picos are in good order.

From the summit is possible to see the Caledônia (2259m) from the East side and Mulher de Pedra (2040m) from the West side and all São Lourenço valley.

Near of the summit the ascent is made only by nude and inclined rock, without a demarcated trail.
For that reason, the ascent of Pico Menor in the rainy season is not advisable.


SE view from Pico Menor

Getting There

Take a car or regular buses to Nova Friburgo town. From Rio de Janeiro, around 160 km separates the city from Tres Picos State Park. Salinas Valley is the last district before you reach the mountains. So, if you want to buy any complement. do it there. From there , take the way to Tres Picos without asphalt, follwing the way to IBELGA School, at the right sido of the road croosing Salinas Valley.

The way sequence to arrive Tres Picos ( From Rio de Janeiro )

Rio de Janeiro - Cross Rio-Niterói bridge ( 14 km ) - Niterói - Take BR-101 North - Itaboraí - Take RJ-116 ( Rota 116 ) - Cachoeiros de Macacu - Nova Friburgo - Take RJ-122 to Teresópolis - km30 ( turn to Salinas valley at left ) - Conquista District - Santa Cruz District - São Lourenço District - Turn to right to IBELGA School - The end of the road = Tres Picos camping.

To get the trailhead for the routes, you should to turn back till the last house before Deuses Valley, when as possible to see a big and a round stone, continues by this way. Some trails to the right side, take you to the great east wall. The end of this trail, is on the base of Pico Menor
Pico Medio and Menor



When to Climb

April to October Season: Cold, dry and the days are much more clearly

November to March Season: Hot, rainy and the high humidity causes cloud cap.

Camping

-República Três Picos – Tel. (5521) 2245-7969 / 9254-2794 – Email: r3p@republicatrespicos.com.br - Contact: Paulo Mascarin

-Abrigo Três Picos – Tel. (5522) 9836-7555 – E-mail: refugio@trespicos.com.br – Contact: José Augusto (Zezinho)

-Refúgio das Águas – Tel. (5522) 2543-3504 – Contact: Sérgio Tartari or Rosângela

-Refúgio Pico Maior – Tel. (5522) 2543-3512 – Contact: Sérgio Poyares
Refugio Tres Picos