Pico Plata Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
glenns

glenns - Dec 2, 2009 2:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Cerro Platita is not Pico Plata

Pico Plata is just below Cerro Plata as described.

Though Cerro Platita is a different 4216 meter peak farther to the south. Platita is the southern most high peak of the Cordon del Plata. It is located at 69° 24' 6.3"W, 33° 4' 5.91"S.
The rest of the entry should be correct just remove any reference to Platita.

Corax

Corax - Dec 2, 2009 7:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Cerro Platita is not Pico Plata

Yes, there's a lot of confusion about the peaks in Cordon del Plata. I know about the other Platita you mention. In the material I have the peak in question is mentioned as Pico El Plata, Pico Plata and Platita, so I guess all these names creates confusion. I will remove the word Platita to make it simpler.
Same goes for Pico Vallecitos and Cerro Vallecitos. The former is just a high point on the ridge, which a huge majority of the climbers reach and claim the that they have climbed Vallecitos. In reality they have only reached a fore peak or high point.
I also have a map where the Adolfo Calle and Stepanek are mixed up.

glenns

glenns - Dec 3, 2009 1:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Cerro Platita is not Pico Plata

Yes your entry is useful for the Plata approach, but I had been confused while investigating the Cerro Platita which I was looking to hike. My map shows Pico Plata just below Plata, which I believe is your entry. The map is "Cordon del Plata" from Meridies-Aoneker GIS Solutions 1:50000. Though it seems the company has split it's name and is now has just publishing maps as Aoneker with a Cordón del Plata map at 1:40000 http://picasaweb.google.com/Aoneker/MapasPublicados#5267507596558674082
I cannot read how they have that peak listed from their image on posted on the web.

Corax

Corax - Dec 4, 2009 1:31 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Cerro Platita is not Pico Plata

The Meridies map has given the two peaks separate names. Pico Plata and Cerro Platita. I enlarged the map on the URL you pointed to and it's given the same way there, and it should be as it appears to be a copy of the original Meridies map.
I have changed some on the page about Pico Plata and also on the Cordon del Plata page, so no confusion is created. I have mentioned that Pico Plata sometimes is called Platita though. The first time I was in Cordon del Plata, Platita was the name given to me by some people in Camp Salto.
Please comment if you think I should change or clarify anything, as it's no good if the information is unclear and climbers are mixing up the peaks.

glenns

glenns - Dec 4, 2009 5:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Cerro Platita is not Pico Plata

Yes I can see how the name of Pico Plata might also be Platita in Spanish. Your changes mentioning the possible name confusion will certainly make it clear. Thanks.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Pico Plata' main page