desainmeUntitled Comment

desainme

Good use of the digital camera. Enjoyable photos from the highway and good closeups.
Posted Jun 10, 2004 11:13 pm

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Thanks. I'm roaring happy over this digital. Can't wait to zip off to another mountain. Maybe this weekend.

Posted Jun 10, 2004 11:15 pm

William MarlerUntitled Comment

William Marler

Interesting place. Cheers William
Posted Jun 11, 2004 8:46 am

hgrapidUntitled Comment

hgrapid

Keep up the additions. We in the Southeast have to go hiking too!

What exactly is a monadnock?
Posted Jun 11, 2004 10:07 am

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

A "monadnock" is an area of relatively high relief rising abruptly, and in an isolated manner, from an area of relatively low relief. A geoligical term named after the famous eastern peak, Mount Monadnock. A true monadnock cannot have any other nearby peaks that would make the formation a mountain range rather than a monadnock. Thus, the Sauratown Mountains some miles north of Pilot are not considered monadnocks, even though they rise just as abruptly and are composed of the same material. In that case, an entire mountain range was the result of the resistance to erosion.

Posted Jun 11, 2004 10:58 am

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

Nice page! Nice picts: toad, buzzard and shoe :-)
Posted Jun 11, 2004 10:58 am

CharlesDUntitled Comment

CharlesD

Another great page, Bob. I know you're not a rock climber, but it would be great to get some climbing information here.
Posted Jun 11, 2004 12:19 pm

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

There are tons of routes on the mountain. I could tell a climbing group had been there the day or two before I was hiking in the park. The walls had been posted with blue tape at various points--I assume to tell the various climbers where to start their climbs. But no one was climbing there yesterday.

I always list these great climbing sites in my neck of the woods and just hope some local rock climbers will add routes and more detailed climbing information.

Thanks for the vote!

Posted Jun 11, 2004 12:23 pm

CharlesDUntitled Comment

CharlesD

Climbers leaving blue tape?! This is definitely not normal nor kosher. It is definitely not standard practice to mark routes like this. Maybe in a climbing gym, but not outside in the wild. If you ever see anyone doing something like this, feel free to yell at them. Better yet, send them to me and I'll lop off their thumbs. It's bastards like this that get climbing areas closed for the rest of us...
Posted Jun 11, 2004 6:07 pm

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Okay. I'm uneducated when it comes to rock climbing, as I've admitted before. I just noticed that there was blue tape tied to points at the top of walls, and I'd encounter the same blue tape at the base of the same walls as I was hiking the Ledgespring Trail below. It's possible it may have had something to do with the park service, which is currently committed to doing some major trail upgrades. Not sure, as there were absolutely no climbers in the park the day I was there.

Posted Jun 11, 2004 7:58 pm

tloganUntitled Comment

tlogan

Wow... cool looking mountain! Nice work again Bob!
Posted Jun 11, 2004 4:11 pm

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Thanks! Trying to get as many peaks from my stomping grounds here as possible.

Posted Jun 11, 2004 4:18 pm

Jerry LUntitled Comment

Jerry L

Neat little mountain.
Posted Jun 11, 2004 9:26 pm

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Thanks for the vote.

Yes, it is a nice mountain. Quite imposing when you drive up to it. Absolutely no other mountain around. Nothing at all within sight of it until you get up near the summit and can spot the Sauratown Mountains off to the north (actually part of the same geological formation).

There's tons of technical rock climbing up there, too. I wish I knew more about that subject.

Posted Jun 11, 2004 9:48 pm

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Thanks!

Posted Jun 14, 2004 6:59 pm

AlpinistUntitled Comment

Alpinist

Nice page! Great to see Pilot Mountain represented on SP finally.
Posted Aug 15, 2004 12:13 am

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Thanks. It is a pretty mountain. I thought that it needed to be represented here. I think I've gotten just about all of the major monadnocks here in NC up and running at Summitpost.

Posted Aug 15, 2004 7:10 am

AlpinistUntitled Comment

Alpinist

Hanging Rock still needs to be added. I considered doing it myself, but it has been many years since I was there and my memory of the details are a bit fuzzy. Even though there is a well-worn trail that goes to the top, it is definitely worthy of listing on SP. Happy trails!
Posted Aug 15, 2004 9:34 am

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

I added the range. Go to my posting for Moores Knob. I did the entire Sauratown Range as one post. (They're bunched together and considered a single monadnock by geologists.)

I'll add Hanging Rock to that post. I was headed up there today, but we backed off because of the weather.

Posted Aug 15, 2004 11:03 am