Pilot Rock

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.41193°N / 114.28982°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pilot Rock is a volcanic rock on the Arizona side of Lake Havasu with a small lighthouse on top of it. From Sara Park on the south side of Lake Havasu City, you could hike a trail to reach an abandoned dirt road that will take you to the rock. Picnic facilities are available at the base of the rock.

This hike can be combined with the nearby Crack in the Mountain and Lizard Peak hikes.

Getting There

From the intersection of Route 95 and McCulloch Blvd S at the south end of Lake Havasu City, turn southwest on McCulloch Blvd S and drive 3/4of a mile to the parking area on the right.






The far right line shows the path from Sara Park Trailhead to Pilot Rock. Connection to Arch Rock and Crack in the Mountain also seen.

Sara Park to Pilot Rock

Note: This is a description of my hike. The area had many unsigned or poorly signed trails. I looked at satellite photos to familiarize myself before going. Without that, I might have got lost.

One way hiking distance from Sara Park Trailhead to Pilot Rock is 3.8 miles.

The first 075 mile of this hike was the same as the Crack in the Mountain hike. From the parking area I hiked the bottom of the dry wash (Yellow Trail) for 0.75 miles to where another dry wash joined from the east. Found a trail that headed east exiting the dry wash. This trail ultimately came to be signed as Watershed Trail and began to head south. Lizard Peak could be seen to the northwest.

Lizard Peak on the far rightLizard Peak


The trail descended into a dry wash and then climbed out on the south side of it. Peak 1035 ft along with Lizard Peak were now visible.

Peak 1035 ftPeak 1035 ft
(L) Peak 1035 ft, (R) Lizard PeakLizard Peak and Peak 1035 ft


The trail ended in an abandoned dirt road where I turned right. View of the mountains to the east.

Peaks to the eastPeaks to the east


Followed the dirt road south/southwest.

Peak 1035 ftPeak 1035 ft
(L) Lizard Peak, (R) Peak 1035 ftLizard Peak and Peak 1035 ft
Looking north
Crossman PeakCrossman Peak


Horse Hoof Peak (Peak 1379 ft).

Horsehoof PeakHorsehoof Peak


Soon I reached a shortcut trail on the right. It ultimately brought me back to the road again. First view of Lake Havasu and California’s Chemehuevi Mountain.

Chemehuevi Mountain & Lake HavasuChemehuevi Mountain & Lake Havasu


Descending the road toward Lake Havasu.

Near Pilot Rock
Lake HavasuLake Havasu


Pilot Rock.

Pilot Rock & Lake HavasuPilot Rock


Views from Pilot Rock Picnic Area.

Lake Havasu, Muffin Peak & Whipple Mtns High Pt
Lake Havasu from Pilot Rock

Pilot Rock and the lighthousePilot Rock and lighthouse


Arch Rock to Pilot Rock

This is a description of the hike from Arch Rock (see the link above for Crack in the Mountain & Arch Rock) to Pilot Rock.

From Pilot Rock, I continued south into a drainage to reach a big dry wash canyon. Before reaching the canyon, I came across a place where I had to jump down 6-8 feet.

Where I had to jump downWhere I had to jump


Once in the dry wash canyon, I turned right hiking downhill toward Lake Havasu (which was not visible).

Dry washDry wash


At a sharp turn in the canyon before reaching the lake, I turned left and got onto a trail that climbed out of the canyon. The beginning of this trail was not visible from the bottom of the canyon. The only reason I knew it was there, was because I had seen it on satellite photos and entered it into my GPS.
Looking back at the wash.

Looking back into the dry wash
Looking back into the wash


Continued on the trail until I reached the dirt road mentioned above that went to Pilot Rock.

(L) Lizard Peak, (R) Peak 1035 ftPeak 1035 ft & Lizard Peak



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.