Pine Cobble Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.72090°N / 73.1662°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Basic Information


Rountrip: 2.1 miles
Elevation gain: 1506 feet
Rountrip hiking time: 2 hours

Route Description


Follow the directions on the main page to get to the trailhead.

The trail departs the road and heads into the wilderness, providing a shady respite from Williamstown’s hot summer days. Designated by rectangular blue blazes (marks on adjacent trees), the trail begins to weave its way through the lush deciduous forest. In this beginning section, there are several tempting side paths that seem to offer faster routes up Pine Cobble. However, these paths damage the undergrowth and rarely end up being shorter than the established trail.

Pine Cobble offers a great opportunity to immerse oneself in the New England forest. Unlike many other hikes, the trail neither crosses roads nor circumnavigates farms or clear-cut fields. After only a quarter-mile, you notice how quickly the bustle of modern life has vanished, replaced by the more muted sounds of the forest. The Pine Cobble trail offers many opportunities to observe the numerous plants that constitute the New England forest. Note how sunny and shady areas support their own communities, each with different types of flora.

Continuing upwards for another third of a mile, the trail passes by the upper reaches of the Pine Cobble development – the last elements of civilization on the hike. From here, the trail steepens a bit. Combined with a previous day’s rain and a rather nonporous trail bed, the incline makes the trail rather slippery.

After about a third of a mile, the trail flattens out slightly. Watch for puddles, as water has carved the trail into a shallow trench. The “0.8 mile” sign signals resumed climbing, as the trail twists past a side trail to Bear Springs on the right and the lower entrance to the Class of 1998 Trail on the left.

The trail soon passes one of the hike’s more interesting phenomena: a cluster of trees growing out of a common stump whose top is filled with water. From here, the top of Pine Cobble is only another quarter mile. At the fork, take the path to the right, leading to a prominent cluster of boulders that form the summit.

To the right, an exposed outcropping offers some of the area’s finest views of the valley. Williamstown unfolds to the southwest, set against the gentle ridges of Hopkins Forest and the dramatic crest of the Taconic Range. Down below, individual campus buildings can easily be distinguished. The Hoosac River can be seen winding northward through the valley. At night, the summit offers one of the most complete views of the night sky.

Essential Gear


Snowshoes make for a better hike in the winter, although it's probably possible to do it without. During the rest of the year, no equipment is required; the Pine Cobble trail is the best-maintained trail in the area.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.