SP Plans & Partners
Make plans. Find activities. Meet people.
  SEARCH PLANS | POST PLANS

Cotopaxi and Rumiñahui in March 2013


andresdlv

Posted by andresdlv on Dec 20, 2012
Page Views: 508

Activity Details

Dates: Mar 23, 2013 through Mar 30, 2013
Location: Ecuador
City or Place: Cotopaxi
Skill Level: Beginner
Categories: Mountaineering
Partner Status: Need Partners

Description

Looking for anyone interested in climbing the Cotopaxi. I will be going between 3/23/13 and 3/30/13. We'll also be climbing Rumiñahui first to acclimatize ourselves. I was born in Ecuador so I'm familiar with the area and speak Spanish. We are beginner so we will be going with a guide.

Itinerary:
We’ll leave Quito at about 8:00 am, going through the south Pan-American Highway until we finally get to the Cotopaxi National Park entrance. When we enter the park we will go to the Limpiopungo lagoon, where we will start the climb up to the top of the Rumiñahui; which will take us about 3 hours. The last part is really inclined and rocky, and that is why will put on our helmets and harnesses, and we’ll connect ourselves up with a rope. If we’re lucky we’ll get a beautiful view of Cotopaxi. After that we’ll go back down and get into our cabins, located at 3,400 m, where we will spend the night.

DAY 2

We’ll spend most of the time on the second day resting to keep our energy high, we’ll then go on our way to the Cotopaxi parking lot (4, 500 m), and we’ll hike up to the refuge with all our equipment. After lunch, we will put our equipment on and we will walk up to a glacier formation, where our guide will give us tips on walking and climbing techniques. We’ll do this before dinner; after which we will rest until midnight.


DAY 3

Our climb to the top will start at about 1:00 am and we will take about 5 to 6 hours to get there. The descent will take about 2 to 3 hours and we’ll be back in Quito at about 2 in the afternoon.

Comments

Post a Comment

snowspark6ecuador volcanoes in 2013

snowspark6

Hi guys,

I'm a Canadian mountaineer/climber down here in Ecuador until MAY. I am experienced, and have all my own equipment. I am an intermediate level guide myself, so I won't be paying for any guiding services, but maybe we can share transportation costs, or maybe just a beer and a laugh somewhere along the way...

Anyways, I'm looking for people to climb with, and I want to spend lots of time above 5000 meters :)

Take care, and feel free to email me at snowspark6@hotmail.com

cheers
Posted Dec 21, 2012 5:22 pm

andresdlvRe: ecuador volcanoes in 2013

andresdlv

Hi I'll be in Ecuador the last week of March and I want to climb Cotopaxi and Rumiñahui. I'm a beginner. Are you gonna be around Quito?
Posted Feb 11, 2013 9:46 pm

 
Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Sign in to post!

Don't have an account? Register now.







"Ninjas aren't dangerous. They're more afraid of you than you are of them..."   --The Tick   

© 2006-2015 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.