SP Plans & Partners
Make plans. Find activities. Meet people.
  SEARCH PLANS | POST PLANS

Tanners Gulch / Triple Traverse


Joseph Bullough

Posted by Joseph Bullough on Apr 26, 2006
Page Views: 1417

Activity Details

Date: On May 6, 2006
Location: Utah, United States
City or Place: Dromedary Peak
Skill Level: Intermediate
Categories: Mountaineering
Partner Status: Will accept Partners

Description

Since there's quite a bit of interest in doing the Tanners Gulch / Triple Traverse this year, I thought I'd post this as an activity to better coordinate our plans.

We'll ascend Tanner's Gulch to the saddle between Dromedary Peak and Sunrise Peak, climb Dromedary, then follow the ridge back over Sunrise Peak and on to Broads Fork Twin Peaks. From the summit of the Twins we'll descend Broads Fork (route to be determined based on conditions) to our shuttle vehicles in BCC, then carpool back to LCC to pick up the remaining vehicles.

Round trip distance: ±6 miles
Total elevation gain: 5,100 feet

If you want to add additional information, just post a reply to this activity. I'll try to keep this description updated with new information as the climb approaches.

Where & When

Meet at the Big Cottonwood Canyon S-Curve (Broads Fork TH) at 4:00am on Saturday, May 6. Based on the number of people who show up, we'll determine how many cars to leave at Broads Fork, then carpool to the starting point in Little Cottonwood Canyon.

Make every effort to be on time! I propose we agree to head for Little Cottonwood no later than 4:05am, to avoid standing around waiting for late comers. Sorry to sound hard-nosed about this, but no one enjoys getting up this early, and it isn't fair to have everyone else standing around waiting for someone who's tardy!

Edit 5/4: I'm sure it's obvious, but thought I'd mention it anyway - if anyone is only planning on Dromedary and/or Sunrise without continuing on to BF Twins, there is no reason for you to meet in BCC at 4:00. If this is your plan, just figure on meeting at Tanners Gulch around 4:20-4:30.

Participants

Myself
stroker
Ammon Hatch cancelled
madsjim
mauraders cancelled
tatwood cancelled
Robert K. (not on SP) cancelled
fowweezer cancelled
tolga cancelled
highonpeaks cancelled
Shayne (not on SP)
Todd? (not on SP)

Gear

• Personal gear (food, clothing, water, etc.)
• Headlamp
• Ice axe
• Crampons
• Helmet
• Avalance gear (beacon/probe/shovel)
• Snowshoes ??

Marauders indicated earlier that he is going to carry a short (30m) rope, which should be sufficient for 2 or 3 people, but if others want a rope a second one may be required.

Those who think the may want to rope up will also need to bring a harness. You also need to decide if you're going to just rope up and simul-climb, or actually set anchors and belay, in which case you'll need at least a couple of pickets, runners, and belay devices.

Comments

Post a Comment

Joseph BulloughI'm Still Planning On It

Joseph Bullough

I was wavering a bit last night and this morning, but I think I'm going to go ahead with this tomorrow. Things will be a bit more difficult with the new snow, but today hasn't turned out as bad as I thought.

As much as I hate to carry the extra weight, I'm really leaning towards carrying snowshoes now, with the new snow. Or at least I'll bring them in the car and decide at the trailhead if I'm carrying them.

See everyone tomorrow at 4:00!
Posted May 5, 2006 7:08 pm

Joseph BulloughP.S.

Joseph Bullough

It sounds like there are a few people who are thinking of postponing a week or two. I think everyone needs to just make their decision based on their personal comfort level. For those who decide to reschedule, I'm sure there will be sufficient interest to put together a good size group later this month, so you really don't need to worry about missing out if you decide to pass for tomorrow.
Posted May 5, 2006 7:28 pm

Ammon HatchRe: I'm Still Planning On It

Ammon Hatch

Well, what are the real added concearns of doing it tomorow? The only ones I can think of would be that the consolodated snow is covered making travel more difficult, and perhaps greater avy danger. Would cooler temperatures make it SAFER this week than next (glide avalanches in broads)?

Like I said before, I'm still down with going tomorow if it's deemed safe enough. Let's see how people chime in though.
Posted May 5, 2006 10:09 pm

Joseph BulloughRe: I'm Still Planning On It

Joseph Bullough

Well, what are the real added concerns of doing it tomorow?

Not so much added concerns, just that we'll probably have more work to do, with some new (and I'm assuming heavy) snow to deal with. I'm no expert on avalanches, but I don't think a day or two of cooler weather is going to have much influence on potential glide activity one way or the other. I'm not saying its safe or not safe, just that I feel comfortable enough myself to give it a go. If you're feeling uncomfortable about it then you probably need to think about waiting until you feel better about it. No one will think any less of you if you decide to wait a week or two, and the mountain will still be there.

Hopefully I don't sound like an a-hole or anything. I just don't want to tell you that yes, its totally safe, then something bad happens and the finger would be pointing at me. Bottom line is that its a personal decision on everyones part.
Posted May 6, 2006 12:41 am

Travis AtwoodChange of heart...

Travis Atwood

After putting some more thought into this, I'm thinking about postponing my attempt until next week. I feel bad about ditching you guys at the last minute, but i'm not 100% conifident about things and I think I'll feel more comfortable next week. Good luck to you and I'm exited to hear about it.
Posted May 5, 2006 11:41 pm

maraudersSorry guys...

marauders

Sorry to say, I'm out. With the weather yesterday, today, and tonight, Tanners is out of my comfort zone with all the new snow. A friend and I are going to do an early morning climb up White Baldy's west ridge and come down the north face, if the conditions are right. Anyone is invited to come (White Baldy parking lot at 4:00am).

We'll be attempting the Triple Traverse next weekend (assuming it stays sunny) for anyone else that would like to join. Have a good one! I'll be looking forward to some killer pics!!
Posted May 6, 2006 2:33 am

Ammon HatchNo go.

Ammon Hatch

I'm afraid I've decided to bail on this one. In favorable conditions, I would be all for it, but i'm a bit too sketched out by the new snow. Next week anyone?

For those planning on going next week:

http://www.summitpost.org/plans/view_activity.php?post_id=4867

Just a thought.
Posted May 6, 2006 3:08 am

highonpeaksMaybe next week

highonpeaks

I don't think I will be going either. I was a little nervous to do the traveres in ideal conditions and with the change in weather I think it best if I passed this time. However, I would still like to give it a try next weekend if any of you all are going. Please let me know the time and I'll be there.
Posted May 6, 2006 3:44 am

tolgaanother week?
I'd also be interested in doing this another time.
On another note, is anyone interested in doing another climb this Sunday? I was thinking of Geurts ridge or Apollo chute on Olympus. Apollo chute is all under 8500 feet so shouldn't have any new snow. I did it last year and it was a fun climb
Posted May 6, 2006 3:52 am

 
Viewing: 21-32 of 32 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »


Sign in to post!

Don't have an account? Register now.







"And I've got the sunburn to prove it!"   --climbwild   

© 2006-2012 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.