Tortoise Shell Peak Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
T. White

T. White - Jan 15, 2023 11:22 pm Date Climbed: Jan 15, 2023

Perfect little jaunt  Sucess!

Did this after hiking Black Mountain with Scott. Temps in the high 40s and windy, but fairly clear and a slight bit of adventure with the steep sections near the top.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Nov 30, 2022 8:42 am Date Climbed: Nov 28, 2022

Simple trail hike  Sucess!

Started in the dark and had to make sure I was on the right trail. Sticking on 601 is what worked. Then the summit trail became obvious.

WOLFrising

WOLFrising - Apr 7, 2020 5:29 pm Date Climbed: Apr 7, 2020

Tortoise Shell Peak  Sucess!

This one is called Tortoise Shell Peak on Listsofjohn, and it's a appropriate name, due to the shape and the fact that I saw a desert tortoise while climbing it! Maddie and I took a long, but enjoyable route from the east Anthem trailhead. We followed the trail til we found a great wash and took it most of the way to the top. The hike gets scrambly and loose near the top, but other than that, it's an easy long day.

Michael McCook - Nov 14, 2018 9:08 pm Date Climbed: Nov 5, 2018

Solar panel and microwave towers  Sucess!

Nice hike uphill. Takes about 1 hour from Mission Drive, McCullough Hills Trailhead Parking lot via 601 trail to peak at moderate pace. Need to scramble in a few spots in last 100 feet or so. There are some steep areas where there is very loose gravel, so extra caution is advised. I recommend a good wooden hiking stick, especially coming down where I slipped a few times, but managed to stay on my feet.

Vasler

Vasler - May 1, 2010 11:38 pm Date Climbed: May 1, 2010

Las Vegas' backyard  Sucess!

Viento Puntero Dr is a wide, lesser used road and the perfect place to trailhead. The construction road takes you up a while and then there's nice broken rock to climb on and around. Nice ridge line.

cp0915

cp0915 - Nov 20, 2007 1:08 pm

up - NE Ridge; down - E Slope  Sucess!

Wandered up this and a few other peaks one afternoon a couple months back.

Tracy

Tracy - Nov 20, 2007 12:11 am Date Climbed: Jun 26, 2010

twice ftrom the east or southeast  Sucess!

I hiked this the first time sometime in 2005 prior to the closure of the jeep trails that exist to the east of the peak. All this area is now part of the Sloan National Conservation Area.

The second time was in 2010 with Steve Stembridge and Les Rekve from the end of Mission Drive in Henderson.

Judd97

Judd97 - Nov 19, 2007 1:51 am Date Climbed: Oct 6, 2007

First Henderson Peak  Sucess!

This one's right in my backyard and I climbed it my first weekend in town. Good for a day hike, especially if you live within walking distance.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'Tortoise Shell Peak' main page