Welcome to SP!  -

Poison Ivy

 
[ Sizes: Orig | Large | Med | Small | Thumb ]
Poison Ivy
There was plenty of Poison Ivy (Toxicodendron radicans) on the Stone Canyon Trail up to Mount Lukens. In some parts the Poison Ivy almost completely overgrew the trail. The urushiol in the sap of that plant can cause an itching rash in most people (urushiol-induced contact dermatitis). May 25, 2008

Comments


[ Post a Comment ]
Viewing: 1-3 of 3    

lcarreauI remember

lcarreau

Voted 10/10

seeing Poison Ivy several years ago
on Mount Fremont. Unfortunately, a
lot of firefighters come into contact
with it, and have to be given first aid.
I contacted 'Stinging Nettle' when I was
a small kid. It can really sting ya good!
Posted May 29, 2008 12:54 am

SoCalHikerRe: I remember

SoCalHiker

Hasn't voted

Thanks Larry for your comment and votes. If you're hiking in our local mountains you should really be aware and knowledgable about Poison Ivy. Also, you should be careful when you take your dogs on a trail and they brush against this vine. You can get the rash easily by petting your dog then. And it really does itch and hurt a lot. Cheers.
Posted May 29, 2008 1:24 am

SoCalHikerRe: Poison Oak

SoCalHiker

Hasn't voted

thanks. You may be right but the leaves of Poison Ivy also come in many different shapes. But again, it may very well be Poison Oak. In any case, both have the same poison (urushiol) and you don't want to touch either of them. Cheers.
Posted Jun 13, 2008 11:46 pm

Viewing: 1-3 of 3    




Rate This Image
Current Score: 75.81

Log In To Vote
[ View 6 Votes | Post Comment ]  
Image Data
SoCalHikerSubmitted by SoCalHiker
on May 29, 2008 12:29 am

Image ID: 407581
Hits: 1281 
Object Title: Poison Ivy

Image Type(s): Hiking