Polish side

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 50.73600°N / 15.74000°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Karpacz-quite big city about 20 km south from Jelenia Góra. The best mean of trasport to getting to Karpacz is car,you can also reach it by bus or by small private buses(like Ford Transit or similar),it costs about one euro. There was also a train from Jelenia Góra to Karpacz (it was the cheapest way of getting to Karpacz) but it was closed few years ago.

Jelenia Gora bus time schedule

In Karpacz start all the marked routes to the top of Sniezka.
Snezka- 1602 mSniezka- the highest mountain in Karkonosze

West ridge

Chair lift
The first one and, of course, the most popular is a chair-lift. It costs about 20 zlotys(5 euros). The lift takes you to the top of Kopa (1375 m)then by black marks(in 15 minutes) you reach big Hut on plateau called Równia pod Sniezka (1400 m)

SamotniaSamotnia

Lomniczka WatterfallLomniczka Waterfall


Samotnia
Second one is also very popular because it follows the road which was built when the "cosmic" hut was constructing on the top. It starts near the Vang Church (it's the small church from Norway). From there you follow the wide road and after less than 2 hours you reach Równia pod Sniezka. There are some variants of that route: the most beautiful is the blue marks which takes you to the hut "Samotnia". Many people says that's the prettiest place in all Karkonosze Mountains.




Pilgrims
Another way is green marks which leads from Karpacz to Polana (eng. Meadow),crosses the road from Vang and then by yellow marks you go toward the rocks called Pielgrzymy (Pilgrims). Route passes the rocks and leads to the main ridge.Path reaches the main ridge near the rock called Slonecznik (it's clearly visible from Karpacz). Then you turn left and following red marks go to the hut on Równia pod Sniezka.

Lomniczka Valley
The fourth possibility is the most impressive and interesting one. From Karpacz by red marks by Lomniczka Hut and then through Lomniczka Valley. The trail passes Lomniczka Waterfall and Symbolic Cemetery of those who had died in Karkonosze. Then you reach Równia pod Sniezka. From Karpacz to Równia: about 2 hours.

Reaching the top from Równia Pod Sniezka

Lomniczka ValleyRównia seen from Lomniczka Valley

From Równia pod Sniezka there are two possibilities of reaching the summit:


1. following the road which leads from Vang to the summit- crosses the north slope of Snezka and then goes near to upper station of chair lift from the Czech side.

2. black marked path. The route climbs nearly the ridge so you have great views of Obri Dul. Two view points. You pass also a Memoral of Messner and Spusta- two Chechoslovakian guides who died on Sniezka. This route is quite steep and takes about half hour.

East ridge

Skalny StolSkalny Stól

East RidgeEast Ridge


Sowia Valley
The way from Karpacz goes via Sowia Valley (black marks), reaches the east rigde of Sniezka between Skalny Stol and Czarna Kopa. This pass is called Sowia Pass- 1164 m.


Skalny Stól(Rocky Table)- 1281 m
Skalny Stól rises above Sowia Pass at the eastern side- it's famous for fantastic view. It's reachable by a few marked trails:
1. yellow marks- from Kowary or Karpacz- through Budniki- an old miners village- 3h
2. blue marks- from Okraj Pass by Kowarski Grzbiet- 1h
3. red marks- from Okraj Pass- 1h
From Skalny Stól you reach to Sowia Pass in few minutes.


From Sowia Pass red marks leads to the summit of Snezka passing Czarna Kopa (1407 m) and Obri Hreben with nice view point on the north side- 2h

East ridge is less popular than the West one so you won't meet many people there.


Essential Gear

No special eqiupment is needed.
If you choose the route via Lomniczka Valley or Sowia Valley it's good to have good hiking boots. Due to strong wind it's neccessary to have good jacket (I know it's obvious but many people forget about that).
In winter crampons might be necessary.

National Park

Small LakeThe Small Lake

There's an entrance fee to Karkonosze National Park.The fee is symbolic(less than one euro).
In National Park there are restricted area which nobody can visit. If you aren't a UIAA member you may only use marked paths.
Karkonoski National Park(Official Site)-Polish,English


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.