Porter Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.98630°N / 113.4596°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Drive to Moose Lake, then drive 1,2 miles to the first Trailhead after Moose Lake which is Trailhead 4 and Trail 24 on your Pintler map, on the left hand side of the road.

Once at the Trailhead at an elevation of 6,166 feet, hike the only trail which runs EAST go for about 1 mile.

Now you take a Right (SOUTH) and get on an old unmaintained trail from here at an elevation of 6,600,(Note:)-this trail is not currently on the 1996 Pintler Map, the most recent map made.

Follow this older trail up through lodgepole trees with a few minor swithchbacks, stay on this trail all the way until you reach a trail junction with Trail 111, at an elevation of 7,609 feet, then head to the right, you are now on a registered Forest Service Trail and is now maintained.

Keep going up this trail until you reach yet another trail junction, this is at an elevation of 7,810 feet, Trail 4 goes to the left towards Tamarack Lake and take the right as it goes towards Porter Ridge.

Still on trail 111 going West, go for about a 1/2 a mile and than cross a creek and you will run into Porter Ridge, the trail goes up the ridge and hits the Ridge line at am elevation of 8,100 feet.

Now your on the Ridge, leave the trail head up the Ridge for about a 1/2 a mile, before you break out to timberline and the full route comes into veiw.

Route Description

The picture below is Porter Ridge.

Once on top of the Ridge there are a few talus rocky spots you will have to cross, hit treeline at an elevation of 9,100 feet, and the ridge becomes more prominent.

You can see the summit of Warren Peak to your left. Follow rocky ridge up 1300 more feet and 1.4 miles of Class 2 to the summit. This can be done in a day.

Essential Gear

Snow shoes until Late May.
Ice Axe and crampons until Early June.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.