Potato Knob Comments

desainmeUntitled Comment

desainme

Novel page. Looks like the eastern jungle.

Was this part of the Rich Mtn. Ridge that you were considering earlier. Liked the summit rock, waterfall and rhododendron/ kalmia!
Posted Jun 8, 2004 6:30 am

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Thanks. I'm glad I was able to get it listed. I've been having problems logging on to the site. I'll try to clean the page up a bit and add some more stuff. Posted it last night in something of a rush as I thought I'd get knocked off the site (and I was!).

Posted Jun 8, 2004 6:51 am

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Oh. Forgot to mention:

No, didn't get a chance to go over to Rich Mountain. I did some hiking in Kumbrabow, but didn't hit anything that seemed to warrant its own page.

Posted Jun 8, 2004 6:52 am

Alan EllisUntitled Comment

Alan Ellis

Pretty good page but I have some questions/suggestions: How do you get to Holly River State Park? What is the contact information for the park in case people want to write or call for additional information? You say there is no permits, but then indicate there are designated backcountry campsites. Can you camp anywhere in the backcountry or only at the the designated sites. And if so, do you have to have a permit or reservation to use them. Finally, could you please put a link to the weather for Webster Springs or Buckhannon as indicated in the Mountain Conditions section. Thanks.
Posted Jun 8, 2004 8:05 am

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Thanks! I'll add that stuff.

I was going to put most of what you suggest, but I was in a hurry to make the page. I was having fits being able to log on to SummitPost. After trying for days, I was finally able to get onto the site just long enough to get the basic info down. As soon as I have some time (tonight, if I'm lucky) I'll add your suggestions.

Posted Jun 8, 2004 5:41 pm

rpcUntitled Comment

rpc

Nice page.

Just as a curiosity, is there any guidebooks that list this area? When we used to live on the East Coast, I remember there not being very many (any?) hiking books for W. V.? Is that still the case?
Posted Jun 8, 2004 1:47 pm

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Hey. Not many guidebooks that I've found. The New River Gorge visitor center had a few. I generally get my trails info from State Parks and that's usually sufficient to keep me from getting lost. I'll update the page and try to target your concerns.

As I've told the others, I was having fits getting onto SummitPost. I created the page in something of a rush, trying to get it done before I got knocked off the site. And I did get knocked off before I could get it right. Everything seems to be cool, now, so I'll fix the page; hopefully this evening.

Posted Jun 8, 2004 5:46 pm

CharlesDUntitled Comment

CharlesD

Very nice, Bob. Certainly the first mountain for this part of WV.
Posted Jun 9, 2004 11:46 am

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Thanks. My wife and I love WV and we go at least twice a year. We're hoping to go back to that area in October when I can scale some of the bigger peaks there.

Posted Jun 9, 2004 4:34 pm

tloganUntitled Comment

tlogan

Nice page again Bob...
Posted Jun 9, 2004 5:14 pm

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Thanks.

I'm going to hit a truly neat peak tomorrow and will add it to the summitpost in the evening. Can't wait to get started.

Posted Jun 9, 2004 7:38 pm

RachelUntitled Comment

Rachel

great page, bob... and i like the photos a lot. cheers!
Posted Jun 10, 2004 9:45 am