"Priord Peak" Comments

mtwashingtonmonroe

Great page Scott!

-Britt
Posted Mar 24, 2005 9:53 pm

miztflipUntitled Comment

miztflip

Great looking peak Scott, hope to see more pics.
Posted Mar 24, 2005 10:22 pm

NelsonUntitled Comment

Nelson

Suberb page, thanks for sharing this secret jewel. You didn't have to!
Posted Mar 24, 2005 10:59 pm

ScottUntitled Comment

Scott

Thanks!

Even though I have shared a few hidden jewels, there are still plenty to go around. Check out the Peak List. Notice that the vast majority of the Uintas don't even have names, and this is true even for the higher and more prominent ones. Peak bagging in the UIntas hasn't caught on the same way as it has in Colorado or California.

I have spent many months over several years in those mountains, and on the summits I only met people on Bald Mountain and Kings Peak. I never met anyone on any other climb.

On many of the mountains, we didn't even find any signs at all that they have ever been visited, even spectacular mountains such as The Cathedral, though its hard to tell how many visited before us. When climbing Explorer Peak in July 1990, I found the last summit log to be from 1983, seven years earlier (and this is a named peak).

More recently, Joseph Bullough reports that even Mount Beulah, a prominent and highly visible peak, still sees less than one ascent per year. And those are the named and highly visible peaks!

The first guidebook covering the 13'ers in Utah just came out, but almost none of the 12'ers are mentioned in any guidebooks, other than breif route sketches and very vague info for some of the peaks in the Utah Mountaineering Guide.

Its a nice area to explore, and I haven't given away too much yet.

Posted Mar 25, 2005 12:07 am

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

Nice page Scott. Now that you have mastered the art of html-tables, what's next? I suggest interactive panoramas ;-))))
Posted Mar 25, 2005 3:18 am

Johan HeersinkUntitled Comment

Johan Heersink

Nice!
Posted Mar 25, 2005 3:20 am

wuedesauUntitled Comment

wuedesau

Very interesting page!

2000 lakes! This sounds incredible. This mountain range must be large (at least for European measures).
Posted Mar 25, 2005 4:44 am

Joseph BulloughUntitled Comment

Joseph Bullough

Nice job on an obscure peak. Is Priord the one near the center of this photo? If so I may try to crop it a bit and resubmit on your page.
Posted Mar 25, 2005 10:09 am

ScottUntitled Comment

Scott

Its not that one (that one is what I call "Deadhorse" [after Deadhorse Lake] on the list), but you do have some really good pictures of the peak. Its actually the one in the opposite direction, the one between Yard and Ostler Peaks. I tried to send an email last night but this morning it said my mailbox was full.

The peak is this one; the one on the left casting the shadow.

Here are the good photos you have of the peak (from the disk). If it wouldn't be too much trouble, and if you wouldn't mind, the page could use some better photos. It would be appreciated. I'm going to scan more next week, but yours are better (4-stars!).

Img 1152: As viewed from Ostler Peak. Priord Peak is right center that has a shadow on its north face (on the left). The contrast between the gentle south face and rugged north face can be clearly seen.

Img 1162: As viewed from slopes of Ostler Peak. Amethyst Lake (center). Priord Peak is the one to the far right.

Img 1356: As viewed from Yard Peak. Priord Peak is the one on the left with a shadow. Priord Lake is in the center of the photo.

Img 1361: As viewed from Yard Peak. Priord peak is right center and is the peak casting the shadow.

Posted Mar 25, 2005 10:45 am

Joseph BulloughUntitled Comment

Joseph Bullough

Oops - I only looked at the Topozone of the area and got myself twisted around. I'll go ahead and post those photos later today.
Posted Mar 25, 2005 11:53 am

ScottUntitled Comment

Scott

Thanks for adding the photos!
Posted Mar 26, 2005 9:31 am

BorUntitled Comment

Bor

Great page and well written, the only bad thing is that you don`t have more photos! :-(

Cheers!
Posted Mar 25, 2005 12:01 pm

wildstarUntitled Comment

wildstar

Great looking page, nice work.
Posted Mar 26, 2005 12:50 am

Antonio GianiUntitled Comment

Antonio Giani

Grande pagina!

Ciao Antonio
Posted Jun 4, 2005 10:38 am

Dmitry PrussNice peak

Dmitry Pruss

Thanks again Scott for recommending it. Just for nitpicking sake, the second one of the pictures on the page does not show Priord Peak at all ;)
Posted Aug 3, 2008 3:07 pm

ScottRe: Nice peak

Scott

Thanks, not sure how that happened. I replaced it with one of yours.

Anyway, if you got any photos of the south face of "Priord Peak" from the upper Rock Creek Basin, feel free to add them. I need to get rid of the rest of my poor photos (I already deleted most of the ones of Priord a while ago).

If you wouldn't mind, some of the old route pages of Spread Eagle and Ostler from Rock Creek could use some photos as well.
Posted Aug 3, 2008 5:28 pm

Dmitry PrussRe: Nice peak

Dmitry Pruss

Oh, that's because the author of that photo misidentified it at first, and the caption read Priord for a while. As to the NW corner of Rock Creek Basin ... sorry, haven't made a single picture after this one. All eyes were mostly turned away from the slopes since after a 5 am start and three peaks, by the time we got to Lightning Lake, I was mostly concerned about finding some rest ... looking for a nice campsite, away from the thunderstorm gales & complete with a swimming hole :)
Posted Aug 3, 2008 5:50 pm