Prow

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.88060°N / 81.886°W
Additional Information Route Type: Technical Rock Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.4
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From the parking lot just south of Table rock, you will walk two miles to the amphitheater. Walk South a mile past the Chimneys- these are good top roping and bouldering resources whilst at the gorge. Follow trails south thru rhodoendron thickets until one comes to the amphitheater and steep gully between the Mummy Buttress to the left and in front and the Prow to the right and behind you. Descend this gully and lose 400 feet of elevation until you reach a large ledge which allows you to walk out beneath the Prow.
You are up fairly high at this point so it will be a bit exposed. The entire climb is 7 pitches but the first 3 probably still need gardening so most walk the ledge and are content with 4 pitches. It gives a fair amount of exposure for its grade, being the edge of the North Carolina Wall

Route Description


Rope up and climb up the prow to the next ledge~100 feet or so. Belay here and climb vague crack up prow between North Carolina wall and rest of buttress 100 feet. Belay at ledge,
Climb up underneath alcove turning it to the left, climb wall(edge of North Carolina Wall) which is steep but well protected to ledge 100 feet. Climb to rim 60 feet. Return north thru rhododendron to trail returning to table rock.

Essential Gear


One 50-60 meter rope and cordalettes. Usual rack weighted with midsize pro. This rock is like granite but is metamorphic and extremely compact. It has horizontal formations called eyebrows for which tricams are said to be useful, We had hexes, stoppers and a few titons-I think the smaller to medium tricams could be useful.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.