Psycho Tower

Psycho Tower

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Rock Climbing

Overview

This tower was on my TO DO list for a while, but due to a busy schedule it was just hard to get to it. We finally decided to make a trip there (only about 2 hr drive for me), but I felt little ill, had a late start, we took the scenic route to get there and got lost. We reached the base of the tower shortly after 5 PM and had no time to climb it, so we only "played" on its first and most difficult pitch Nameless Face 5.11-

The tower was first climbed by Steven Johnson and Charlie Fowler in 1996 by its regular route with a great name Psychopath 5.9+ (I added the + per other climbers ratings. I think that Charlie did not mess up with pluses). The Nameless Face pitch was added later by Kevin Dunkak and it joins with the start of the regular route, so if you don't feel comfortable with a warm up on 5.11, you can easily by-pass it.

The area has several towers, this one being most famous. It was featured in Climbing magazine and there is a great description on how to get there and route description.

March 2014 - I was fortunate to make 2 more trips back - wonderful area, I hope it will stay pristine and uncrowded for many more years to come.

Psycho Tower  
What a funny shape...  
Tower in the evening light  
Approach and Dolores River  

External Links

Psycho Tower on Mountain Project

Great video

Psycho Tower Climbing. February 17, 2012. from Jason Halladay on Vimeo.



Thanks Jason Halladay

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
markhallam

markhallam - Nov 17, 2012 12:12 am - Voted 10/10

Nice to look at...

...but my days of getting up something like that are long in the past - and nowadays I don't even want to! The canyon country is extraordinarily beautiful though - I did once do a couple of hiking trips in Colorado and it was quite amazing.
Best of luck for your next (& I'm sure successful) visit - AND with the 70+ hour working week (that is another thing that is in the past - but I still find 50 quite enough!)
bw
Mark

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Dec 9, 2012 5:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice to look at...

thanks Mark, finally got back and was able to climb it. A wonderful place, and totally empty. One of those rare places that you look around and see no signs of human life...

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.