Viewing: 1-20 of 23 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

cp0915Excellent, Bob

cp0915

After 8 years in absence, I finally made it back to Glacier last month. What a treat to return! Thanks for posting this info and the amazing pictures!
Posted Aug 20, 2009 9:44 am

Bob SihlerRe: Excellent, Bob

Bob Sihler

Thanks, CP. I hope you had better weather than I did and enjoyed the park. It's such an amazing place.

I climbed Dragon's Tail with Walt and another guy from SP. Walt talked trash about you almost the whole time! Actually, he recounted some good times you guys have had around Sedona and told about the restraint you guys try to show around idiots. We had to use the same restraint on the trail back from the climb.
Posted Aug 21, 2009 12:36 pm

cp0915Re: Excellent, Bob

cp0915

Yeah, Walt and I have definitely enjoyed some good times together over the last few years...going back to our first climb together in Red Rock. Good times!
Posted Aug 21, 2009 2:06 pm

FlatheadNativeEnough already!

FlatheadNative

Another great route Bob. The photos are great. I should have done this one with you instead!

A great addition to SP and another route demystified.
Posted Aug 20, 2009 3:03 pm

Bob SihlerRe: Enough already!

Bob Sihler

I wish you had been with me. I climbed the Notch on Friday and then did the Wall traverse. The weather went to crap about halfway along the goat trail. Near the north end, the fog and my inexperience on the route prevented me from finding the right way down, and after spending about an hour repeatedly ending up at awful cliffs, I found another way down. On Monday, though, I went back the other way and found the correct route on the north end.
Posted Aug 21, 2009 12:38 pm

Bob SihlerRe: Glacier is yours!

Bob Sihler

They cost only $100. Cash or postal money order, please.

Thanks for checking out the page!
Posted Aug 21, 2009 12:39 pm

BaarbThat is...

Baarb

...the craziest thing I have ever seen. It looks more death defying that climbing one of the notorious 8000m peaks where at least you have crampons! Congratulations and thanks for the page!
Posted Aug 22, 2009 8:40 am

Bob SihlerRe: That is...

Bob Sihler

It's not too bad as long as you look where you're going! Thanks for visiting the page!
Posted Aug 22, 2009 10:20 am

SaintgrizzlyWHAT A TREAT....

Saintgrizzly

...to see these mountains, from this unforgettable perspective, in other pictures than my own! Sounds like you were as impressed by these mountains, this trek, as was I. "Stunning" doesn't begin to cover the reality of it all...!

Thanks for the effort on the route, too—I'll put a much-needed link in the appropriate section on the GNP page.

What a treat, indeed! Thanks, Bob!
Posted Aug 23, 2009 2:20 am

Bob SihlerRe: WHAT A TREAT....

Bob Sihler

You're welcome, and thank you, Vernon. You're right about how impressed I was and how the scenery and the experience are beyond stunning. I am very glad I went here two days, too; the first day, weather went bad and I couldn't find the way from the spire to the tunnel, and I had to follow another escape route I found down to Ptarmigan Lake. But three days later, I started from the tunnel and "completed" the trip!
Posted Aug 23, 2009 9:23 am

MarkDidierGreat Page-Great Scenery

MarkDidier

Bob,
As always, another great page. Sounds like an incredible route! Glad you made it back safe. That scenery is just amazing. I was a bit smitten by the Bells, but photos like this will keep me thinking about getting farther north!

Thanks for sharing.
Mark
Posted Aug 23, 2009 10:35 am

Bob SihlerRe: Great Page-Great Scenery

Bob Sihler

The Bells are beauties, Mark. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to the Elks. I think only the San Juans compete with them in CO for great scenery.

Thanks for checking out the page. Glacier will be there when you're ready!
Posted Aug 24, 2009 2:20 pm

Aaron JohnsonBest

Aaron Johnson

route page I've seen in a while. Excellent work, Bob, on a route that continues to confound folks. Hopefully this page clarifies some of the complexities.
Posted Aug 24, 2009 8:40 pm

Bob SihlerRe: Best

Bob Sihler

Thank you very much, Aaron; that means a lot coming from someone who puts as much work into his route pages as you do.

Interesting that you mention "confounding"-- the route confounded me in two sections. The second time, with bad weather moving in, I had to find an alternative way down, and fast. That was going south to north instead of per the Edwards description. Three days later, I went back the other way and solved the "problem," which enabled me to make this page.

Thank you also for two other things-- the recent additions to the La Platas and to Ruby. Both are excellent. When I get the chance, I will rework Ruby a little in the Routes section to reflect your addition. In fact, it may make more sense to change that part to a Routes Overview and make individual detailed pages for the routes already described there.
Posted Aug 25, 2009 10:53 am

Aaron JohnsonRe: Best

Aaron Johnson

Your idea on the route pages: Agreed! Thanks for the kind words.
Posted Aug 25, 2009 6:47 pm

distressbarkmissed out :(

distressbark

really wanted to hit up this hike this summer, but never was able... love the page though. looking forward to future opportunities to attempt this amazing route!
Posted Oct 14, 2009 11:21 am

Bob SihlerRe: missed out :(

Bob Sihler

You'll get your shot, I'm sure. And you'll love it. I hope the page can be helpful.
Posted Oct 15, 2009 10:20 pm

samhFinally

samh

Bob, this route has been sorely awaited by me on Summit Post. I wanted to build it myself but didn't take photos when I did the route so had nothing to bulk it out with. Thank you so much for creating it.

- Sam
Posted Nov 30, 2009 6:36 pm

Bob SihlerRe: Finally

Bob Sihler

Thanks, Sam. I'm glad you like the page.
Posted Dec 1, 2009 1:46 pm

samhRe: Finally

samh

I LOVE IT! It makes me want to go back up to Glacier to do it again - but in reverse. I went from the pass, North toward the tunnel and when I arrived at the northern end I messed up the guidebook directions and had a very un-elegant drop in elevation before making the tunnel. I'd like to try it again and stay high for the whole route. Also, connecting to Iceberg Peak would be a bonus.
Posted Dec 4, 2009 1:10 pm