Purcell Access

Purcell Access

This is what I found on 8/11/07. Of course with time these conditions will change, for better or worse. You can actually see a road to the NE that I eventually wound up using to access the summit. The starting elevation was at a sort of pass at about 4000' and the route involved some moderately steep and moderately brushy slopes. 2009 Update: In July 2009 the 47 road was found blocked at the bridge over Skate Creek which limits the access to all of these roads from the East. I don't know whether this was a short term or long term or permanent closure. It may still be possible to access Purcell via the road network coming in from the N all the way from the Ashford area at least based on what is on paper. But I have no idea if there are other washouts or gates or road issues. I also have no idea either if the washouts I found in 2007 have been fixed or not. The washout on the South would be the mostly likely candidate for a repair I suspect.
ericnoel
on Aug 11, 2007 11:46 pm
Image ID: 322584

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Dundeel

Dundeel - Jul 8, 2012 6:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Access

On July 6, 2012, FS 47 and 63 were both open. The road paralleling Hwy 12 no longer has a Davis Creek bridge. You must access from its west end. The spur to the "New" trail is washed out and abandoned.

ericnoel

ericnoel - Jul 9, 2012 5:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Access

Ah cool. It's always good to hear of access being restored. Did you come in via the SW on 47 or via the E via 52->47 or by some alternate path? I won't be repeating Purcell but there are a few other P1000s that I might access in that area.

It sounds like you guys did something somewhat similar to my route. I came in from a bit further NE and bushwhacked up to the 63 road which I then walked to the NW slopes which I ascended. Brushy and steep as I recall but that's the way it goes.

Dundeel

Dundeel - Jul 15, 2012 12:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Access

We drove up 63 from Hwy 12. A snow bank stopped us right near the saddle and we walked from there. Went around the north side to the southwest side and then up through a steep meadow. That's the best way. We came down the east side and it was steep and brushy.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3