Red Breaks Comments

Stu BrandelMany Thanks...

Stu Brandel

For the early Christmas present. This goes on my list of someday hikes.
Posted Dec 24, 2010 2:16 pm

Sierra Ledge RatWOAH!

Sierra Ledge Rat

Thanks for sharing
Posted Jan 26, 2011 1:26 am

Matt LemkeRe: WOAH!

Matt Lemke

You're welcome...was a beautiful area to explore!
Posted Jan 26, 2011 1:30 am

Jack BNarrow!

Jack B

Hi Matt, thank you for the great page! My wife and I did this entire hike last month based on your guidance from this page. For the most part your description is spot on; however, I do think that overall it underemphasizes the difficulty of the slot.

The chokestones get progressively more difficult and puzzling. There's one that requires a sketchy/committing move with a fairly big drop below, and the final one requires chimneying to get over, also with a pretty big drop. I thought it was all very challenging but fun, however my wife became very scared towards the end. She had some real troubles getting over a few of the chokestones - particularly the chimney one since she is new to slot scrambling and didn't really "get" chimneying. At that point we were both freaked out that she wouldn't make it up, and the prospect of downclimbing all the way back through the slot would be dangerous at best. We made it out afterall, but it was the first slot I've ever been relieved and glad to finally exit!!!

Also, after the last chokestone and the end of the narrow slot, the slot is so incredibly narrow that a wider person - not even fat but just a big beefy person - might not be able to physically fit through. It would be incredibly disappointing (and dangerous) to make it all the way through the slot and not be able to squeeze through the final exit! I'd recommend putting a warning about that on the page.

Anyhow, your page is great and I'm glad you wrote it and I'm glad we hiked it. I would just suggest to emphasize a little more the difficulty involved (for people who are not expert climbers/canyoneers). Also it would be wise to bring a rope to help haul packs over a couple of the taller chokestones.

Thank you!
Posted May 6, 2013 11:15 am

Matt LemkeRe: Narrow!

Matt Lemke

Wow thanks Jack! I will update the page to include these warnings. Now that I look back I can see how some of the chalkstones are difficult. Glad you had fun though...did you make it up the Big West Fork too?
Posted May 6, 2013 12:10 pm

Jack BRe: Narrow!

Jack B

Hi Matt, yes we went through the Big West Fork, as you described on your page. We didn't go up the Main Fork, if that's what you meant to ask.

Also, the hike from the end of the Big West Fork to the Cosmic Ashtray over all that slickrock was awesome too and your directions were great!
Posted May 6, 2013 6:27 pm