Red Butte Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 25
12
utahjimk

utahjimk - Sep 2, 2022 6:24 am Date Climbed: Sep 1, 2022

started hike from Fort Douglas TRAX station...  Sucess!

got on BST at museum, up Georges Hollow, side trail to gain ridge to false summit 6472, and followed ridge to top; then on to Wire Mountain and then NE on ridgeline to point 7230. Record HOT day in SLC - saw no snakes but counted 7 horned lizards...

Moogie737

Moogie737 - Apr 22, 2020 1:58 pm Date Climbed: Apr 22, 2020

Part of Mt. Wire/Red Butte Loop  Sucess!

#1 04-22-20 W/ Yadahzoemtn. Did Mt. Wire first, then found our way down the "loop" trail which neither one of us had ever used. Ended up doing a lot of mild ridge scrambling just to make sure we touched the correct summit. Do this hike when cool weather prevails. Stopped at the "living room" on the descent.

Moogie737

Moogie737 - Apr 22, 2020 1:58 pm Date Climbed: Apr 22, 2020

Part of Mt. Wire/Red Butte Loop  Sucess!

#1 04-22-20 W/ Yadahzoemtn. Did Mt. Wire first, then found our way down the "loop" trail which neither one of us had ever used. Ended up doing a lot of mild ridge scrambling just to make sure we touched the correct summit. Do this hike when cool weather prevails. Stopped at the "living room" on the descent.

yadahzoemtn

yadahzoemtn - Apr 22, 2020 1:35 pm Date Climbed: Apr 22, 2020

Over from Wire/Big Beacon  Sucess!

Went up Big Beacon from Pioneer Park. All the way over Red Butte and across the ridge to the Livingroom. Down the Livingroom trail and took the Bonneville Shoreline Trail back to the car. Nice hike. Lost my buff so I went back and found it!!

BKiser90

BKiser90 - Aug 10, 2016 7:13 pm Date Climbed: Aug 10, 2016

Up from Georges  Sucess!

Wasn't sure which summit was the highest. So I bagged them all just to be sure. Fun scramble up from the living room.

Johnny - Aug 3, 2015 6:52 pm Date Climbed: Jul 28, 2015

Good hike  Sucess!

This is a bit confusing for the SLC noob (me). The popular hike here is the "Living Room", which is only about 3/4 of the way to the top on the Red Butte side. The living room trailhead is even marked on Google maps. I parked in some U of U building's parking lot on Colorow Drive and nobody seemed to care. Looked like other hikers and shoreline trail walkers parked there too.

From there, walk up to George's Hollow and you should see a very well used trail heading up the Mt Wire side. You head to the right of a little ridge and when you come around the back of it, it opens up with city views. You can also now see your destination on the opposite ridge to the Northwest. Continue hiking up. The main trail doubles back to the south face of red butte and onward about a tenth of a mile to the living room. A smaller trail continues up.

The living room is interesting, with sandstone benches. From there, you can scramble up the ridgeline to the summit, or go back to the canyon joint and take the smaller trail. The smaller trail eventually reaches a junction where you can choose to go to back along the red butte ridgeline or to the Mt. Wire summit. I walked the red butte ridgeline. There were swarms of honeybees, which must build hives in the rocks/cliffs. I didn't bother them and they didn't bother me, but just a word to the wise for those allergic. The reservoir is visible far below.

I didn't see a readily apparent way to go downslope on the back (north northeast) side. It does seem possible to continue down (west) the ridgeline to hook up with Red Butte skyline nature trail. I am not sure how bad they want to keep you out of the upper canyon reservoir area, but there are fences to keep you out of the botanical gardens.

Garon Coriz

Garon Coriz - Jul 1, 2014 5:03 pm Date Climbed: Apr 17, 2014

Friendly Jaunt  Sucess!

Went with CJ, Casey, and Amy. Saw one guy lying in the shade about ready to pass out. It gets hotter than people expect.

JimmyJazz

JimmyJazz - Jun 25, 2014 11:16 pm Date Climbed: Apr 24, 2014

Awesome Rocks  Sucess!

The views are great, but I really love all the rocks. Red Butte feels to me like a distant cousin to Southern Utah.

gbrixey

gbrixey - Jun 16, 2014 1:19 am Date Climbed: Jun 15, 2014

Sunset  Sucess!

I went all the way up the ridge to watch the sunset, and then came back down the Georges Hollow trail. Lovely hike, nice and cool and breezy the whole way.

scgrant

scgrant - Feb 27, 2014 3:48 pm Date Climbed: Feb 27, 2014

Red Butte  Sucess!

I started at the parking lot for the Natural History Museum and worked my way straight up the ridge to the top. The .5 mile ridge walk from the top of the false summit to the highpoint was especially enjoyable. From the summit I went up to Mount Wire. Roundtrip time was just under 2 hours.

brdgt

brdgt - Sep 3, 2013 10:14 am Date Climbed: Sep 2, 2013

Glad we did Mt. Wire first  Sucess!

New to town and still without a car we decided to find a short hike that was easily accessible by bike. Parked at Natural History museum and went up George's Hollow to Mt. Wire first, then across the saddle to Red Butte and down to Living Room - glad we went this way - a little safer and more views from Red Butte.

One note: I wish for every sign marking a crude oil pipeline they had one for the trails - we figured things out but if they really want to actually stop erosion, telling hikers where the real trails are would be a good start.

dstevenson0204

dstevenson0204 - Feb 4, 2013 5:11 pm Date Climbed: Feb 1, 2013

Awesome Ridge  Sucess!

This ridge was awesome! I loved this hike, especially snow clad.

Fleshj27

Fleshj27 - Dec 30, 2011 8:32 pm Date Climbed: Dec 30, 2011

30 Minutes My Ass!  Sucess!

30 Dec 2011

30 minutes to Summit my red buttsky! More like 2 hours! Okay, I'm not the fastest hiker/climber on the planet, but for the love of God, QUIT FREAKIN TRYING TO KILL ME with hooptie overly optimistic timelines on these summits. I actually use the beta in these posts to plan hikes and I'm getting tired of picking my way down rocky cliffs in the dark because somebody didn't want to sound like they were some type of slowpoke.

Other than almost plunging off a cliff in the dark and dying a tragic death, This is a pretty darn cool climb for being right next to the city...I went up the south face next to the stone chairs. Will do again sometime when I have more daylight.


3 Jan 2012
Did it again with more daylight and combined it with Mt. Wire. For the record, it took 1 hour 46 minutes to the highest point on Red Butte

derekthered

derekthered - Aug 19, 2011 1:09 pm Date Climbed: Aug 17, 2011

Red Butte  Sucess!

Climbed with Jenelle and Paul.

voxnihili

voxnihili - Jul 6, 2011 4:37 pm

Inversion  Sucess!

Went up to the top with some friends from the university dorms on a Sunday (Feb. '99). It was my first experience with the SL Valley air inversion. Cold and dreary in the valley. Sunny and beautiful (the soup below, withstanding) up top.

Wisemtn - Sep 13, 2010 10:51 pm Date Climbed: Sep 13, 2010

Red Butte Fun  Sucess!

Didn't know the living room was up here but had heard of it from a friend. Fun short hike after work. Great views and sunset! Took less than an hour to summit. Rockin' to L.A. Woman on the run down. Good times!

#2 - 3/12/17 with Chompy & BEANS!

pbogen

pbogen - Apr 26, 2009 10:12 pm

Fun Spring Scramble

Nice and tame scramble up from the Living Room

byates

byates - Dec 8, 2008 12:43 pm

A regular on my curcuit  Sucess!

Ussually going up or down Big Beacon.

Kadee

Kadee - Nov 18, 2008 3:54 pm Date Climbed: Jan 14, 2007

Winter  Sucess!

Another nice winter hike. This was a fun hike with some cool rocks.

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Nov 9, 2008 10:01 pm Date Climbed: Nov 9, 2008

Up the ridge, Down Georges Hollow  Sucess!

I think this is as great little urban hike. I enjoyed the scamper up the ridge. I had this entire butte to myself until my way down toward George's Hollow, when I encoutered a trio of Wasatch Mountain Club members. (All the other hikers were busy on Big Beacon, but I was too short on time for that one.) We chatted for a while and enjoyed the view of Salt Lake City, then I headed down George's Hollow to my rental car. I strongly recommend this loop route to anyone interested in this hike. This was a nice way to kick off a business trip (I tucked this one into a Sunday afternoon before the start of meetings in SLC.)

Viewing: 1-20 of 25
12
Return to 'Red Butte' main page