rpcUntitled Comment

rpc

Dean,

just been inspired. Think we'll try to give this one a shot before the snows arrive! Love to explore these unknown corners of our beautiful state!

Your quest to bag all the county highpoints has really taken you to some amazing corners of Oregon (I belive you and Bob are trying for both OR and WA county highpoints, is that right?).

I think I saw this peak (a hike in the area anyway) in one of the guidebooks.....it might be mentioned in D. Lorain's Backpacking Oregon book?
Posted Sep 26, 2003 11:02 am

DeanUntitled Comment

Radek, thanks for taking the time to check this out and for the 4star rating. I still have a lot of work to do on this page but I appreciate the head's up on the book. I haven't been able to find this listed in the ones I have.

I'm heading for Sacajawea tonight to pick it up along with summitpost member Cornvallis and when I do so I'll be able to get it off my back. Bob and I have really enjoyed the highpoints as we've explored almost every corner of Oregon and Washington. Bob has two more (after today) of Washington left, a major accomplishment in my eyes. He is going after Big Horn, high point of Lewis county (WA).

If you get interested in this "Crazy" county stuff, check out www.cohp.org for more info. I really got hooked.

Anyway, I always appreciate your kind remarks and support.

Posted Sep 26, 2003 11:08 am

rpcUntitled Comment

rpc

Thanks Dean. Don't quite add that book yet - I'll check it out tonight at home (I could be really wrong about this) and will let you know if it's in there. How many counties in OR and WA? How long have you guys been at it? It's definitely the kind of "crazy" that I like!!!!!

Looks like we're all going to have a great weather this weekend. Thinking of going up Mt. Daniel in WA.
Posted Sep 26, 2003 11:13 am

DeanUntitled Comment

OK on the book. 36 counties in Oregon, I was hoping to get them all but a fire closure shut me down in two of them and I missed the opportunity to climb Jefferson with Bob back in August, a week before the big fires. So my total is 29, with 7 to go, 3 of which I'll get before the year is out.

Washington has 39 CoHp's and only one person has done them all. Bob has 36 (37) and I have 25. Washington is a little tougher considering the need to climb Rainier, Baker, Glacier Peak, Bonanza, Big Horn, Mt. Stone, Mt. Adams, Gypsy and Abercrombie Peaks in NE Wa. BUT, what a blast. I've been working on these just in 2003 except for Rainier which I got prior to starting this stuff.

I know you'd love it Radek, it is addicting and educational. You learn so much about each state as you do this. Whew,,,,,sorry to rattle on. I must be converted to it ; )

Posted Sep 26, 2003 11:20 am

Aaron JohnsonUntitled Comment

Aaron Johnson

18 miles! YIKES! In a day? Sheesh! You get four stars just for that! Good job on the page. The slag heap-great name for a pile of rocks! HA!
Posted Sep 26, 2003 4:34 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

18 miles isn't unheard of to get county highpoints in Oregon / Washington. Eagle Cap was a 20 miler in one day, Sacajawea is a 15 miler and to get the high point of Marion county on the shoulder of Mt Jefferson, a 16 miler. Mt Adams is 16 miles round trip, etc Not bragging but if you don't want to backpack all your gear in, then round tripping is the only way to go. Good for the fitness and losing weight (both goals of mine)

Another thoughtful name for Red Mtn was "pile of cra_" but I'll leave that one off.

Posted Sep 26, 2003 5:03 pm

Aaron JohnsonUntitled Comment

Aaron Johnson

Long mileage days just don't cut it aymore. My feet just won't put up with the pounding. All that mileage you rattled off there makes'em hurt and I'm sitting at my desk!
Posted Sep 26, 2003 5:23 pm

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Ah, I found it! Glad you added this page. I look forward to doing this one eventually.
Posted Oct 7, 2003 2:03 pm

Fred SpickerUntitled Comment

Fred Spicker

Great page, Dean. I almost missed it because of the common name. Brings back good memories of living in that part of the country.

Posted Oct 16, 2003 9:05 am

Dennis PoulinUntitled Comment

Dennis Poulin

Great page Dean. Looks like it would be a great hike.
Posted Dec 10, 2003 3:30 pm

KieranUntitled Comment

Kieran

Great photos!
Posted Feb 6, 2004 6:47 pm

drm519Untitled Comment

great page
Posted Feb 27, 2004 10:21 pm

PopoffUntitled Comment

Lots of great information and photos.
Posted Apr 7, 2004 1:39 pm

William MarlerUntitled Comment

William Marler

Nice job. Cheers William
Posted May 13, 2004 8:38 am

naderUntitled Comment

nader

Very nice page. Hate to have to regain 600 ft on the way back.
Posted Aug 24, 2004 9:50 am

Don NelsenUntitled Comment

Don Nelsen

Just happened to be browsing and found your page. Nice job and one of the few I've never heard of! I've thought of doing the Wallowas from the south and this would be a good peak to bag on the way. Thanks for your work.

Don
Posted Sep 23, 2004 11:47 pm

wildstarUntitled Comment

wildstar

Great page.
Posted Nov 19, 2004 10:11 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Thank you for your comment and vote. Another one of those Oregon county highpoints that was a discovery trip for me.

Posted Nov 20, 2004 9:18 am

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

Dean, I accidentally added CA's The Doodad to the OR County Highpoints list because you mistyped 2247 for 2277. You will need to manually add Red Mountain to the OR Cohp group. Thanks.

Nice page, by the way.
Posted Dec 28, 2004 8:55 pm

CornvallisUntitled Comment

Cornvallis

Ahhhhhhh th Wallowas, gotta get back there
Posted Mar 18, 2005 12:52 am