Red Mountain Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
katelyngeselle

katelyngeselle - Jul 27, 2023 11:00 am Date Climbed: Jul 23, 2023

Not exactly an "easy stroll through the woods"  Sucess!

The fire lookout is burned down- the only things left are the foundation, some rusty cables, and lots of broken glass. It took one hour to get to the top from the turn off the main trail. Much faster on the way down (maybe 30 min). It was hotttt at 10am. Since the fire, there's almost no shade and it's all just a steady uphill trail. The trail was mostly easy to follow. I suggest the Gaia app for help sticking to the route when the trail fades away closer to the top. Definitely worth it if you're in the area! Might be really gorgeous for sunrise or sunset.

wyatt_meyers

wyatt_meyers - Jul 25, 2023 7:31 pm Date Climbed: Jul 23, 2023

Hot and overgrown but beautiful   Sucess!

Trail seems to have been left unmaintained since the fire and is seldom climbed according to the log which needs a new pen. It's overgrown in a few spots where you have to go around and in others it's difficult to follow but the views are worth is and even with no trail it'd be an easy class 2 climb to the top overlooking 8 lakes and a few ponds as well as the sawtooths in the backdrop. Cool to see the remains of the lookout and would be a great early season hike but is hot with little shade by July. Enjoy!

Annalikeslenses

Annalikeslenses - Sep 28, 2019 2:16 pm Date Climbed: Sep 27, 2019

Red Mountain is not red  Sucess!

Not a very red mountain, so misleading, 0/10 stars! Just kidding, pretty good hike mostly through a burn area to some great views of the Sawtooths, Boise Mountains, Salmon River Mountains, and even the White Clouds peeping out. 2 hours up with some short breaks, 1.5 hours down. Make sure you take a left at the junction 2 or 2.5 miles up - I was expecting a sign saying "summit" but it's just the trail number with no other information about where it goes, so I was glad I'd downloaded the Summitpost page to double-check. And for anyone who's wondering, the road is washboarded but otherwise fine for the first section but did disintegrate a little at the turn to the trailhead (potholes and loose rock) but still perfectly doable in a passenger car - about 35 minutes from Hwy 21.

boisedoc

boisedoc - Apr 25, 2010 12:09 am Date Climbed: Jul 15, 2006

kid friendly  Sucess!

carried my son up this with a little snow to negotiate at the top. Good views

Smoove910

Smoove910 - Nov 10, 2009 4:19 pm Date Climbed: Aug 8, 2009

Sweet Hike!  Sucess!

Took my g-friend and my daughter up to Red Mountain summit on a nice adventure off the beaten path. This area was the result of looking for somewhere 'besides' the Sawtooth Area to eliminate the possibility of seeing people. We were successful in seeing absolutely noone until the way down. Very cool hike with stunning views. Hope to get back up to explore the lakes below and maybe catch me a fish, finally! :P

Kris

SawtoothSean

SawtoothSean - Nov 8, 2009 12:03 pm Date Climbed: Jul 5, 2000

Great Family Hike  Sucess!

One of the better hikes in the area for a family with relatively easy access. Hiked up with my grandfather and enjoyed the views of the Sawtooths. On another occasion hiked with my wife around to the lakes, then up the steep slopes to the summit.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Red Mountain' main page