Regular Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 13.27203°N / 144.71191°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Park alongside Hwy 1 on southwestern shoreline.

Route Description

Parking in the dirt lot near a ranch home, take the obvious trail straight ahead that runs nearly parallel with the highway. You will make an easy continuous ascent on a well-defined trail, passing religious ceremonial alters tucked in the forest on the left side of your trail and a ridgeline of crosses. This is actually the summit of Mt Jumullong Manglo (1263') and not on the direct path to LamLam's summit, but a point of interest that should be visited. Locals carry these huge wooden crosses on their backs to this summit, passing the alters along the way to be blessed, and erecting their crosses on the summit early the morning of Good Friday.
Crosses erected every Easter...

If you stop to visit the crosses, make a U-turn from that summit to continue on the path to LamLam. Following the trail to the west, you will drop down into the jungle and gingerly step through thick foilage growing over lava rock. Any misplaced step could land you hip-deep between jagged stones. Passing many limestone formations and WWII relics, you will skirt the base of the summit on the eastern slope. A little Class 3 action over limestone gets you to a terribly windy summit.
The descent is anyway you can get down the western slope through head-high cane grass and occasional limestone formations. Hwy 1 can be seen from the descent slope, so you can keep your bearing on direction. During rainy season, you will pass beautiful waterfalls.

Essential Gear

Long pants, long sleeve shirt and gloves are a must! The cane grass and stone will hack you up even on this easy hike. Plenty of water and a lunch are recommended. Cell phone would be nice in the event you are cut-off the trail by wildfires set by poachers like we were.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
rockymountaindiva

rockymountaindiva - Dec 13, 2010 10:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Parking for Mt Lam Lam

The parking for Mt Lam Lam is in the Cetti Bay parking area, which is marked on most tourist maps. Then cross the street and look for the green sign marking the trailhead (see images for route).

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mt LamLamRoutes