DeanUntitled Comment

Oh yeah, this is a 4 star page. Never heard of it but I have now, hence the beauty of SP pages.
Posted Oct 21, 2004 5:45 pm

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

Remmel is often forgotten. But as you can see it is one of the highest peaks in the state.
Posted Oct 21, 2004 6:40 pm

NelsonUntitled Comment

Nelson

Nice page for some lonely talus! Too bad about the firefighters. A good tribute by you.
Posted Oct 21, 2004 8:54 pm

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

Their deaths were a big deal in firefighting circles. Poor planning apparently contributed to their deaths, which just goes to show that it's hard to do everything right.

Thanks for the vote.
Posted Oct 21, 2004 11:06 pm

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Excellent post. I especially enjoyed the information and links concerning the burn and subsequent regrowth.

Posted Oct 21, 2004 10:06 pm

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

"Is that the actual color of the rock/vegetation (from the fire), or due to the light, or maybe the film? Or my hallucinating?

All four?

Thanks for the vote.

1. Vegetation does tend to be more rufus at this time of year (fall death cycle)

2. Sun is lower in the sky, creating more yellow tinting than when more overhead

3. Yes, film or processing (I think it's more the camera place I get the film developed). Bob Bolton has complained about it but I prefer more "lively" coloration than simply gray rock & ice. I agree there is often too much red or pink showing up.

4. My photos do tend to have a hallucinogenic quality...no they don't.
Posted Oct 22, 2004 2:53 pm

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

Another entry worthy to be in the SP enceclopedia! I also apreciate the section about fire and regrowth. Fortunate, that nature always makes a comeback.

I only hope she won't give up some day!
Posted Oct 22, 2004 4:09 am

mtwashingtonmonroeUntitled Comment

mtwashingtonmonroe

Very nice page! Looks like a beautiful place! Great job!

-Britt
Posted Oct 22, 2004 12:51 pm

Lee StammUntitled Comment

Lee Stamm

Very nice page. Happy to see you continuing to add summits in the Pasayten, of which Remmel is one of the more significant. The burn zone of the Thirtymile fire is similar to that of the Tyee fires in the Entiat drainage about 10 years ago. It should be interesting to compare the progress of the stages of regrowth in the two areas.
Posted Oct 22, 2004 1:01 pm

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

Thanks, Lee. I just put up a new Pasayten page: Coleman Peak. Here's a picture of some regrowth in Kay Creek drainage.
Posted Oct 22, 2004 5:30 pm

Martin CashUntitled Comment

Martin Cash

Wonderful page. Excellent writing!
Posted Oct 22, 2004 5:33 pm

applewood8-10-11 ascent of NW Ridge

applewood

My daughter and I climbed Remmel from the NW last week (detailed account posted in climber's log), and found the mountain a great easy mountaineering adventure. The mountain's large and isolated profile had captured our attention from first view at Horseshoe Basin, and just got better as we got closer. We found the NW Ridge a pile of boulders (like you mention), but mostly very stable ones, with several sections of steep good rock (we chose the easiest route through, at maybe 5.2 climbing, as well as several rappels) along the upper ridge. It was a very enjoyable summit outing for us.
Posted Aug 15, 2011 11:08 am