Return To Sender, at The Rincon

Return To Sender, at The Rincon

Kris Solem climbing "Return To Sender," a 5.11++ Rincon Classic. The Rincon is a seldom visited area in the lower Kern River Canyon of the Southern Sierra. It is characterized by beautiful white granite faces, warm winter temps, and a burly approach hike. Photo by Greg Epperson
ksolem
on Apr 25, 2007 3:20 pm
Image Type(s): Rock Climbing
Image ID: 288342

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Martin Cash

Martin Cash - Apr 25, 2007 6:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Cool

Good profile shot Kris. Where is this at?

ksolem

ksolem - Apr 26, 2007 12:01 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Cool

The Rincon is a little known climbing area in the Kern River Canyon, California. South of the Needles, and south facing situated in a sheltered bowl, it is ideal in winter. We have about 25 routes, mostly single pitch in the 150 ft range plus a few multi pitch routes. The grades run from 5.8 - 5.12c with a concentration of good 5.11s. The route pictured is .12a. The Rincon boasts a stout approach hike which keeps out the riff raff.

Rob

Rob - May 1, 2007 9:18 pm - Voted 10/10

That's a nice shot !!

But of course it is...Eppi is one of the best pro climbing photogs ever! That shot catches Kris right in the middle of doing the crux 11+ move. Once he latches that edge the difficulty eases to about 11a for the rest of the climb. That edge actually even has a name...we call it the letterslot!

Kris and I did the first ascent in 1996, just one of many good ones up there!

Btw... Kris, my notes say that Dave Tidwell was in on that fa with us...I think he did the third lead.

ksolem

ksolem - May 2, 2007 12:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: That's a nice shot !!

Hi Rob! 1996 eh..? And Eppi got this shot in spring '05 as I recall.

That's a tricky sequence there. The objective is to get that good slanting hold in the right foreground. The thin one I am about to latch enables one to do a switcharoo with the feet and reach over to the thin black incut at shoulder hieght halfway across to the good one. Then you match on that, smear the right foot out on zip and pull the big move across to the good edge.

Let's be sure we get up there and pull that again next winter..!

troybailey - Mar 26, 2010 1:46 am - Hasn't voted

Re: That's a nice shot !!

You people need to just turn off your computers,shut up ,and climb!

ksolem

ksolem - Apr 2, 2010 8:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: That's a nice shot !!

Look out!! Troy Bailey is in the house!

Whatz up Troy??

bongsunkee

bongsunkee - Sep 8, 2007 3:53 am - Voted 10/10

cool lookin!

nice shot....

Viewing: 1-7 of 7