Riffelhorn Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-14 of 14
punchline

punchline - Aug 2, 2018 5:40 pm Date Climbed: Jun 17, 2018

Quick Climb  Sucess!

Warm up for additional peaks while we were in the Alps (Monch, Weissmies, Mt. Blanc.) Great views of the Matterhorn.

Bluebell08

Bluebell08 - Aug 21, 2014 1:43 pm Date Climbed: Aug 3, 2014

Fun climb  Sucess!

Acclimatization climb before Pollux. East Ridge route, scramble down. Fun but clouds descended during the climb and wiped any possibility of a view. Great sighting of a large ibex on the way down.

Steve Larson

Steve Larson - Oct 26, 2013 12:58 pm Date Climbed: Oct 26, 2013

Didn't realize this was a peak...  Sucess!

I was walking up to the Gornergrat, when I got to the tarn below this, and decided that the trail was boring. Thinking it was just the ridge leading to Gornergrat, I wandered up class 3 ledges to the ridge, then started up. The final 20m cliff was a bit dicey. I grabbed the fixed rope after the first bouldery moves into the corner. Imagine my surprise when I arrived at the top and found a cross! Imagine even more surprise when I descended the east ridge and found the three steps. Certainly spiced up my day!

Jukka Ahonen

Jukka Ahonen - Sep 5, 2012 11:18 am Date Climbed: Sep 5, 2012

Good climb  Sucess!

Practice run in preparation for Matterhorn, in perfect weather, too!

Chandra

Chandra - Aug 17, 2012 7:54 am Date Climbed: Aug 17, 2012

Via Egg  Sucess!

Solid rock, lots of fun and a wonderful view from the top.

Peter K

Peter K - Aug 30, 2010 10:10 am Date Climbed: Jul 30, 2010

Route Climbed: Skyline (E Ridge)  Sucess!

Acclimatization climb with a friend of mine. Easy terrain, but fatty holds everywhere - exactly like climbing in Freyr. Guess the other routes would be more fun. Though a nice outlook.

TodoVertical

TodoVertical - Nov 30, 2009 6:45 pm Date Climbed: Jul 21, 2009

THERMOMETER-EGG (250m, V+), Guiding  Sucess!



Excellent route climbed entirely with sneakers.
More Pictures of the THERMOMETER-EGG route on the south face of Riffelhorn

cp0915

cp0915 - Jul 12, 2007 4:52 pm Date Climbed: Jul 8, 2007

East Ridge  Sucess!

Really good scrambling on good rock on this route. Quite a fair amount of 3rd class (considering the short distance of the route), with plenty of opportunities to beef it up.

Some of my observations while on the route:

-graffiti
-300 Japanese tourists at a tarn below the north face
-a 9-inch human turd (with soiled t.p.)
-really greasy holds
-several guides belaying their clients up the same 3rd class route I was doing...and they're headed to Hornli next!?!

Britette

Britette - May 25, 2007 2:42 pm Date Climbed: Aug 25, 1996

Sport climbing routes  Sucess!

There are several sport routes I climbed over the summer here. Easy Going (IV), Via Philipp (IV+) and Supertramp (V-).

Charles Garrett - Aug 9, 2006 5:51 am Date Climbed: Jul 26, 2006

Preparation for the Matterhorn  Sucess!

Climbed with Nico and Drew on the morning before we set off for the Hoernli Hut. I remember little about it, except that the climbs were great fun and not too challenging, and that the views of the Monte Rosa massif, the Matterhorn and the peaks west of Zermatt were simply outstanding.

markradford

markradford - Sep 3, 2005 10:22 am

Route Climbed: North Face & Egg Date Climbed: 26th July 2005  Sucess!

Great climbing in fantastic position with stunning views. Training for our climb on the matterhorn, the following day.



The top of the egg route is a wonderful exposed arete, pushed my climbing grade under great supervision of our guides Neil and Alain.

JanG

JanG - Jul 27, 2005 5:34 pm

Route Climbed: Egg Date Climbed: Aug. 2002  Sucess!

This is a great place to train for the Hornli ridge of the Matterhorn. In fact, the Zermatt guides will not take anyone on the Hornli ridge unless clients can demonstrate rock-climbing competence on the Riffelhorn.



Of course, we were tested by the local guides on several occasions in 2002 & 2004 prior to our successful climb of the Matterhorn (see details in Trip Report). Thus, I fully agree that after mastering essential rock-climbing skills on different pitch lines of the Riffelhorn, the technical aspects of the Hornli ridge actually seemed easier!

rickford

rickford - Jun 29, 2005 3:20 pm

Route Climbed: east ridge Date Climbed: August, 2005  Sucess!

I did this fun little peak on my way to the Monta Rosa hut. I went up the easy east ridge until I came to a bolted fifth class face. Because I had no rope, I traversed over to the north east side, to some 4th class rock and then headed to the summit. Great views! Coming down unroped was a little scary...

mattosacy - Sep 6, 2002 5:05 am

Date Climbed: 19 Aug 2002  Sucess!

At our first day (from 2 weeks) in Zermatt we walked from Zermatt to Riffelhorn and summited it. From the 2 weeks we spent on the region, it was the only day with perfect weather...!

Our team: Paulo and Helena Coelho (Brazil) Annette Sartori (Germany), Kalus Bartl (Brazil-Germany), Ozzi Sartori (Germany), Andrea Mattos (Brazil).

Viewing: 1-14 of 14
Return to 'Riffelhorn' main page