OverviewWest of Trogkofel / Creta di Aip the main crest of Carnic Alps (Karnischer Huptkamm) lowers considerably and becomes less rocky. As on so many places in Carnic Alps the geological structure changes abruptly, resulting in interesting natural scenery. As we described on the page of Hochwipfel, on the summit of Schulter / Creta di Lanza an important ridge deters towards the north. But from Shchulter / Creta di Lanza to Trogkofel massif there's still quite some land and in this part of the main crest the main summit is Ringmauer / Pale di San Lorenzo. Actually, it's a nice summit, in summer easy, but in winter conditions you should not just allways take it as an easy objective. Nice panorama is guaranteed and in winter and spring it's also a goal of an excellent ski tour.
The small group of Ringmauer / Pale di San Lorenzo
Getting ThereFor general overview, see the Carnic Alps group page and the Carnic Alps Main Ridge (East) subgroup page. Gail/Zilja valley on the north can be reached from Villach (highway), driving towards the west. Paularo can be reached from Tolmezzo (highway), driving towards the north and then deterring north-east in Val Incarojo. Pontebba lies by the Udine-Villach highway.
Ringmauer / Pale di San Lorenzo summit can be reached from three main directions:
1. From Straniger Alm, 1492 m. The meadow can be reached by a narrow, but still solid mountain road, starting in Stranig in Gail/Zilja valley. It is opened for public traffic from June 1st till end of September. From Straniger Alm the mountain road continues to Klein Kordin Alm, 1624 m. I nowhere saw any signs prohibiting the drive, but it is a bit untasty to use noisy vehicles so high on nice mountains. This is the western approach.
2. The second approach from the Gail/Zilja valley brings you on the eastern slopes. The mountain road starts in Rattendorf and brings you up on Rattendorfer Alm, 1531 m.
3. The third approach comes from the south, from Passo del Cason di Lanza, 1552 m, reachable by a nice mountain road, which encircles Monte Zermula, thus connecting the towns of Pontebba and Paularo. The road is usually opened from end of April till end of October.
Otherwise the ascent descriptions are simple:
1. From Passo del Cason di Lanza, 1552 m.You go north, following the mountain road (closed for public traffic) which later turns into Val Dolce. Or you can follow the marked path left of it. The direction is towards the north. Gentle slopes, so ideal for tour skiing (called Pian di Lanza) bring you on the main ridge, west of Rattendorfer Sattel / Sella di Val Dolce. On the left you see the main summit, its SE ridge and south below it the bump of Cima di Lanza. When you approach closest to the SE ridge, you have three options. You can ascend over steep grassy slopes directly up on the main ridge. The second option is, to go a bit left (westwards) and ascend on the main ridge by the slopes more opposite to Cima di Lanza. A bit higher slope, you'd go also above short rock sections, but perhaps even less steep. The third option is to descend by the marked path (No. 417) towards the E-NE (towards Rattendorfer Alm). So you lose good 50 m of altitude, but remain on the marked path. After it crosses the E slopes and ascends through the passage up, you can turn left and ascend by an easy, pathless terrain the summit ridge.
2. From Rattendorfer Alm, 1531 m.You allways follow the marked path No. 417 towards the west, but before it reaches the main ridge, turn right towards the north and ascend up. Then by an easy, pathless terrain on the summit ridge and on top.
3. From Straniger Alm, 1492 m.As described on the Hochwipfel page, you go first on Klein Kordin Alm (road, path takes a shortcut), then continue up on the main crest and by Traversata Carnica / Karnischer Hoehenweg a short section towards the east. If you'd continue further, you'd soon find yourself below the southern slopes, over which you'd then ascend on top. But you can also deter left and reach by a marked path the high saddle south of Schulter / Creta di Lanza. I don't know how the ascent from there (over the Point 1997 m) directly on top would go, but you can certainly go from the saddle by the path No. 417 on the northern slope and then by it easily on top. That's also the approach if you would be arriving from the summit of Hochwipfel.
Skiing can be done from the main summit towards the north, preferably continuing down on Rattendorfer Alm. In good conditions you can also ski down the summit ridge and then towards the south. The passage is steep, but southern orientation of slopes makes the ski tour easier. Then you continue down on Passo del Cason di Lanza. By the summer approach route also skiing on Klein Kordin Alm and further on Straniger Alm is nice.
Red TapeNo limitations.
Huts And Camping
Straniger Alm, 1492 m. Managed by Sagmeister family, tel.: +43(4285)243. The hut has a few rooms, prices vary from 45€ to 75€.
Casera Cason di Lanza, 1552 m. It has 14 places and 6 places in winter room. Opened from start of May till end of October. Tel.: 042890928.
Rattendorfer Alm, 1531 m. Opened from start of June till end of September. Reachable by mountain road (also a small bus operates). Tel. 0664 2863348.