Rinka Group

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.36502°N / 14.56452°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Mixed, Scrambling, Via Ferrata, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8047 ft / 2453 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

[img:796852:alignright:small:North][img:666776:alignright:small:South][img:796853:alignright:small:East][img:796851:alignright:small:West (-northwest)]
Rinke is a group of mountains in the center of the range, northeast of Skuta and very accessible from many valleys.

The Rinka group is the water divide:
to the N, below the Savinja saddle, the Vellach (Bela in Slovene) flows towards the Drau (Drava).
to the S: the Kamniška Bistrica source,
to the E, we find the Savinja source;
to the W, the Kokra (via Jezernica) gathers the Rinkas' waters.

The 4 Rinkas (Rinke) are:
Kranjska Rinka (2453 m),
Križ (Koroška Rinka) (2433 m),
Štajerska Rinka (2374 m),
Mala Rinka (2289 m).

These four summits (map) are related by a circling ridge above a crater-like basin, walls and ridges dropping in all directions.

At the upper end of the Savinja valley, above the Okrešelj high terrace (meadow, mountain hut), the Štajerska Rinka buttress unmistakably steps forward, between Mala Rinka and Križ (r.).

Mala Rinka means small Rinka and its summit is not more than a bump above the Mali Podi high terrace (to the South), but on the other side (the N side), the mountain takes a steep drop to the Okrešelj meadow (and mountain hut).

Kranjska Rinka, the highest of the 4, is reachable along a reasonably demanding marked and secured path.
Note that the legendary Rinka-Skuta ridge traverse (first performed in 1907) starts here.

From the town of Jezersko and along the Ravenska kočna valley (W, NW), two of the summits appear clearly: Križ (Koroška Rinka) to the left and Kranjska Rinka to the right.

Getting There

The Rinka standard is a marked and secured mountain hiking path that splits right hand off the Skuta SE ascent. Start at the upper end of the Turski žleb couloir and follow the blazed path signposted Rinka. This route circles the in-side of the "crater".

Mountain hut support:
Okrešelj hut (1396 m)
Kranjska koča (1700 m)
Mali Podi bivouac hut (2070 m)
also Kamniška koča (1864 m)

> Hut acess on the hut pages.

Red Tape

Unless expressly signalized (barrier, signpost), and upon your own responsibility,
macadamized roads are allowed and visible on maps (these roads are mainly maintained for lumbering and hut cable station access purposes).
Fishing & hunting is regulated.
Wild camping and open fires are not allowed.
The Kamnik-Savinja Alps are part of the Natura 2000 program.
The Logar valley (Logarska dolina) is a Landscape Parc
and there is a reasonable fee for the road up the valley, in the summer months during the daytime.

Camping

Luče, along the Savinja valley.
Kamnik
Tržič
Voelkermarkt
Maybe Jezersko

External Links

Maps:
Grintovci 1:25000
Kamnik-Savinja Alps 1:50000

Tips for Safe Trips to the Mountains


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.