Route to Apple and Turtle Rocks

Route to Apple and Turtle Rocks

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 22.39894°S / 44.66836°W
Seasons Season: Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Add Heading here

Trail sattelite view 1
Trail sattelite view 2
This trailhead takes you to one of the most scenic places inside Itatiaia National Park, the very foot of Prateleiras Massif. In that place, one can behold the amazing Apple Rock, and the huge Turtle Rock, both of them sitting there almost like man made supersized rock sculptures.

This will be a short hike from the refuge, around 4 to 5 kms round trip, just about 3 miles. At like 80% of the trail you'll be on the same trail of one of four main traverse routes of the park and on the trail to Prateleiras Peak, which by the way is already a show apart. Take your time, enjoy the wilderness and work on your photos.

The main photo is an informative view of the famous Apple Rock, I draw some of the routes for its top.


Trail details

No big secret here, just folow the instructions on the kml file provided and you'll be fine.
Be my guest and download the file with all points marked:




Photo Area

Essential Gear

Good hiking boots
Down jacket 
Water proof parka 
Poles 
Suncream 
Glasses 
Some protection to the neck and head 
20l backpack at least 
Snacks

Red tape

You'll have to enter by the high entrance of the park, as soon as you get there register yourself and pay a fee of R$ 12,00 (about USD 6.00) for the entrance.
Parking lot at the entrance;
Well marked trail. just follow the road to the refuge.

What’s forbidden:
At all costs, don't make fire or Deforest any places. Respect the nature and wildlife please! 


BE CAREFUL ABOUT SNAKES AND POISONOUS SPIDERS (BROWN SPIDER)

Weather forecast



PS: The weather forecast on this link is for the main mountain of the park and it will do just fine.
Conditions in Itatiaia NP can change very quick and visibility can be compromised. A gps will hep you find your way, but the terrain can beat you. 

Legal Issues


To hike/ climb is a dangerous activity and requires proper equipment and clothing, the owner of this page cannot be blamed by injuries caused to anyone who read this page for its info about the mountain, and eventually got hurt by doing so with reckless behaviour or bad weather conditions.

Paulo Roberto Felipe Schmidt – AKA: PAROFES

External Links

A brazilian website to get mountains info, including gps files to download:http://www.rumos.net.br/rumos/

My youtube channel: www.youtube.com/parofes
- Now with 270+ videos online!

The biggest brazilian website about climbing and mountaineering, for which I'm a columnist:



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.