"Russell Peak" Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Scott

Scott - Jun 28, 2023 9:17 pm Date Climbed: Nov 15, 2003

Russell Peak  Sucess!


May 4 2023

At sunset I made an attempt on Russell Peak, but without snowshoes I didn't make the summit even after dark. Someone swiped my snowshoes since I left them outside.

April 18 2023

Just before sunset, I started up Russell Peak. I arrived at the summit well after dark. It was a nice snowshoe, but was quite windy on top and it snowed some.

March 14 2023

In the evening I snowshoed up Russell Peak above Berthoud Pass. It was most dark and since it was cloudy I didn't see any stars.

November 14 2015

Alone, and on November 13 I snowshoed up to the Broome Hut near Berthoud Pass by headlamp starting at 9 PM. The hut was deserted except for me.

The temperature in the morning was 11F and completely sunny. After a quick breakfast, I broke trail up to the ridge and climbed over Points 12,179 and 12,391 before dropping down to Berthoud Pass (passing over Russell Peak along the way). It was a neat trip, but more difficult than expected since most of the time it was all virgin snow. I had to carry my overnight pack over the top too.

The skies were completely sunny and it was windless and quite warm for the time of year.

August 19 2009

Today I got off work fairly early so it was time for a climb of Mount Stanley (and the other peaks along the way). Not long after I set off driving to Berthoud Pass, I remember I forgot my headlamp. I didn’t want to return (I thought I might miss the sunset if I did) and thought I should be OK without it.

I left the trailhead at 6:33 pm and started up the mountain, climbing as fast as I could to try and reach the summit of Stanley Mountain by sunset. Once I reached Point 12391, the hardest part was finished, but Mount Stanley was still a long way off and I was worried I might not make it by sunset. I ate dinner (a pack of salmon and crackers) while walking and hurried towards the summit.

I was only at Point 12,507 minutes before the sunset so I took a side trip and climbed the point to photograph the sunset since I wouldn’t make it to the highest summit of Stanley Mountain on time. I took a few minutes on the summit to photograph the sunset and then set off towards Mount Stanley. By the time I reached the summit it was getting pretty dark.

I quickly headed back along the north ridge to Point 12,391. By the time I reached the point, it was definitely dark, but the ridge was easy to follow by starlight. Descending to Berthoud Pass was pretty tricky in the dark, especially below timberline where there were trees blocking out the starlight. When it got dark I pulled out the cell phone and used the light for that to stay on the trail.

I arrived back off the mountain well after 10 pm, but it was a nice little climb.

November 15 2003

Winter conditions.

Senad Rizvanovic

Senad Rizvanovic - Jun 2, 2023 12:43 pm Date Climbed: Sep 4, 2016

With Stanley  Sucess!

Tag this point on the way to Stanley Mountain.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Jul 16, 2022 3:07 pm Date Climbed: Jul 12, 2022

En route to Stanley Mountain  Sucess!

En route to Stanley Mountain

BradBartick

BradBartick - Oct 12, 2021 4:39 pm Date Climbed: Jul 30, 2021

Tagged while heading to Stanley.  Sucess!

Great views up there.

MattK

MattK - Nov 29, 2011 1:18 pm Date Climbed: Sep 19, 2010

From Berthoud Pass  Sucess!

Passed over on the way to Stanley.

Scott

Scott - Jun 5, 2009 11:57 pm Date Climbed: Nov 15, 2003

Via Berthoud  Sucess!

I climbed this one on the way to Stanley and Vasquez during a snowstorm.

Foxy Long Bottoms

Foxy Long Bottoms - Nov 26, 2008 4:15 pm Date Climbed: Nov 16, 2008

.  Sucess!

Solo combined with Stanley Mtn.

Brian Kalet

Brian Kalet - Nov 1, 2005 3:39 pm

Route Climbed: From Berthoud Pass Date Climbed: October 23, 2005  Sucess!

Hiked over to Elevation Point 12,391' and skied the northeast face down to the road at ~10,840...still not enough snow.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to '"Russell Peak"' main page