Viewing: 1-11 of 11
hgrapid

hgrapid - Apr 27, 2008 4:18 pm - Voted 10/10

Welcome back

Welcome back dgreaser. You got rid of your pages and some excellent highpoint photos on my pages. Are you going to resubmit those?

caverpilot

caverpilot - Apr 27, 2008 4:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Welcome back

Thanks! slowly, slowly slowly but yes, most stuff anyway. I've re-scaled all of my photos to unusable (to steal!) size since I found someone had been selling some of them. This time I won't worry and if I bug out again I'll just have someone adopt my pages instead.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Apr 27, 2008 5:03 pm - Voted 10/10

That's rough

I have used other people's photos from summitpost, but I always ask their permission and give them 100% credit. Only a real loser would steal someone's photo and pass it off as their own.

danr43 - Jul 29, 2013 11:33 am - Hasn't voted

Camping prohibited

The entry under "Camping and Red Tape" is inaccurate/incomplete. Camping is not allowed in the tower during any season. The FS got tired of having to replace the door because of repeated break-ins so a crawl-through space on the door was installed for emergencies only.

caverpilot

caverpilot - Jul 29, 2013 4:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Camping prohibited

Where is this information publicly available? It is not posted at the trailhead or on the tower. (I believe you, but how is anyone to know?) I know of several people that have bivyed there in mid-winter as a base camp for skiing, however, since it is very dark and cold inside, it seems like a terrible option compared to a sub-alpine snow cave!

danr43 - Jul 30, 2013 10:59 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Camping prohibited

We just assumed people knew that camping wasn't allowed because the lookout is closed with a cable and lock each fall. You make a good point about public notification and we will be sure to post a "no camping" sign on the door this fall. I would greatly appreciate it if you would consider editing the site to eliminate the sentence about camping in the tower. Thanks! (I am the Stevensville District Ranger).

caverpilot

caverpilot - Aug 9, 2013 11:50 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Camping prohibited

done!

SevenEagles - May 15, 2019 10:40 am - Hasn't voted

Possessive Not Plural

In the last paragraph of the Overview section there's a statement about the name of the peak being St Mary, not the plural St Mary's; the apostrophe s at the end of Mary makes it possessive, not plural. You might want to fix that in the sentence.

hightinerary

hightinerary - May 16, 2019 12:59 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Possessive Not Plural

The presence of the apostrophe itself is the problem. Apostrophes suggesting possession or association are not to be used within the body of a proper geographic name.

caverpilot

caverpilot - Sep 9, 2022 5:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Possessive Not Plural

No apostrophes are being used in the official name, the statement is because of the confusion with the nearby East Saint Marys Peak.

caverpilot

caverpilot - Sep 9, 2022 5:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Possessive Not Plural

Thanks professor; I can't imagine the mass chaos and confusion that might have caused; fixed.

Viewing: 1-11 of 11
Return to 'Saint Mary Peak' main page