Viewing: 1-11 of 11
Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Jun 27, 2008 11:19 am - Voted 10/10

A thought

I have been hoping for a Sandia page for quite a while. You may consider dropping the wilderness moniker, however, and simply make the page on the Sandia Mountains. Then you ought to attach all the peak pages here on SP and have an excellent resource covering the whole area. I am not sure if all the peaks, such as Sandia Peak itself are in the Wilderness area, but it should certainly be included in the area page. Just a thought. I really hope this page turns out well. Good luck!

davebobk47

davebobk47 - Jun 27, 2008 11:46 am - Hasn't voted

Re: A thought

Thanks for the input, I've been thinking about this a while and decided to undertake this. I do believe Sandia Peak is in the Wilderness area but I do like your idea of dropping it.

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Jun 27, 2008 12:40 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: A thought

Somehow I thought there were radio towers at the summit. I know there are somewhere along the crest. Either way, I am glad you are making the page.

davebobk47

davebobk47 - Jun 27, 2008 2:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: A thought

There are towers on the summit of Sandia Peak which is the highest point. I know there are a number of different parts: some city open space, some Cibola NF, etc. I'll try to find a map showing all the boundries.

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Jun 27, 2008 8:12 pm - Voted 10/10

One more...

www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?object_id=365699&context_id=151423

Not trying to be a pain. I love New Mexico and am glad to see things from the region being posted.

hans.schenk

hans.schenk - Jun 28, 2008 7:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Great...

Hey...good to see a Sandia Mountain page going up! And from a fellow Albuquerquean. A couple of suggestions on things to include that make the Sandias a cool place to visit...but if you already have these in mind then take my suggestion with a grain of salt! Palomas Peak (Sport climbing on the east-side), the Capulin Snow Play Area, the Capulin Bird Log, the Rosy Finch banding project, HawkWatch International site, the 4x4 area on the northeast side, Sandia Man cave, and Embudo Cave. Thanks for doing this!

davebobk47

davebobk47 - Jun 30, 2008 2:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great...

Thanks, your local pages are great, I love the Manzano page. I did have a few of those suggestions in mind but you've brought up a number of things I hadn't thought of. I have a feeling this will take me a while but feel free to suggest things I've missed.

hans.schenk

hans.schenk - Jul 5, 2008 10:47 pm - Voted 10/10

I made a mistake...

I told you about 'Encino Cave'. I meant Embudo Cave. I don't know why my brain fudged the name. I changed my original post to you to reflect the change. I thought I'd make a comment to you about it since you put it on the Sandias Page. Anyway...it is on the east side of the mountains and is shown as a spot on the map found in the Hiker's and Climber's Guide to the Sandias by Mike Hill. I don't know much about it besides that I think it is gated and is similar to the Sandia Man cave...an archaeological site. The coordinates of it are 351204N 1062439W if you would like to look it up and confirm it. I like what you did with the first part of the page: Hikes and climbs by difficulty levels with links and pictures. Keep it coming!

davebobk47

davebobk47 - Jul 7, 2008 10:16 am - Hasn't voted

Re: I made a mistake...

Thanks for the fix, I hadn't heard of Encino or Embudo cave but I will make sure to visit before putting it up. One reason this are taking so long is I am trying to visit to get details and confirm things before posting. Glad you like it so far.

hans.schenk

hans.schenk - Sep 15, 2009 12:39 am - Voted 10/10

Great Page!

Good job on the page...it gets better all the time!

davebobk47

davebobk47 - Sep 15, 2009 10:34 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Page!

Thanks, its been a little while since I've added new stuff but I have plans to get out in the fall. I want to add more about the Sandia Man and Embudo Caves as well as more rock climbing info.

Viewing: 1-11 of 11
Return to 'Sandia Mountains' main page