Sasso Gordona

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.92823°N / 9.09256°E
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4652 ft / 1418 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sasso Gordona (m. 1418) is a rocky summit on the border between Italy and Switzerland
It is the main structure between the Valle d'Intelvi e the valley of Muggio, an important point of reference on the "Alta via del Lario" (the trekking route crossing all the summits on the western side of Como Lake) and, being the highest summit south of the Monte Generoso, a wonderful panorama point.


a 7000 x 650 pixels pano of the Alps from the summit

During the First World War it was an important garrison along the "linea Cadorna", a complex and long trench system crossing the Prealpi Lombarde from Verbano (Lago Maggiore) to Lario (Lago di Como).

Getting There

Alpe di CeranoThe starting point of the hike is quite easy to find :
From Como you must follow the SS 340 (Regina), drive to Argegno.
Almost at the end of the built-up area you must turn to the left along the SP 13 of Val d'Intelvi, follow to Casasco and to the Alpe di Cerano (960m) where, surrounded by fine and wide meadows (often crowded with families having a picnic), there is a good car parking area.

Route Description

Rifugio PrabelloHere you must cross a meadow (to the left) and follow marks indicating "Rifugio Prabello" (m. 1200).
You can get there in 2 different ways :
  • along the military route, easy and comfortable but long
  • along a path running in the (somewhere) thick wood till you get the last part of the route

  • Once at colma di Prabello (the saddle between Sasso Gordona and Poncione di Cabbio) you must turn to the left (wooden marks) toward the Sasso Gordona.
    The path starts immediately steep and the last 100m (in elevation), over the Linea Cadorna, are really very steep and somewhere a little exposed but with some equipment : to be avoided if wet of iced (very slippery, maybe dangerous)

    Difference in elevation about 500m, time required 3 hours up and down
    Sasso GordonaSasso GordonaSasso Gordona

    Essential Gear

    good mountain shoes