Viewing: 1-20 of 29
12
visentin

visentin - Nov 1, 2008 1:48 pm - Hasn't voted

isn't it

Isn't it a bit too much for 1 page ? shouldnt we divide these 3 areas ? (east, west, centre)

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Nov 25, 2008 9:09 am - Voted 10/10

Never seen

anything like this. Like to see how it develops.

Happy contributing,
Marc

Nanuls

Nanuls - Nov 27, 2008 8:26 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Never seen

Thanks very much, we'll let you know when we finish it properly.

Cheers
Dan

mountainmanmark

mountainmanmark - Nov 26, 2008 8:37 am - Voted 10/10

Get Scotland on the map!

Chaps fabulous page and an amazing amount of information and detail! I spent 2 weeks in Tyndrum climbing all in sight so I'll try and get the pics off my mate, if I can I'll post some up and if suitable use as required.
Mark

Nanuls

Nanuls - Nov 27, 2008 8:37 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Get Scotland on the map!

Thanks Mark, two weeks in Tyndrum! Nice! Your photos will be very welcome. Hey I don't suppose I could persuade you to help write some of this page could I? You wouldn't have to do much if you didn't want to, but as of yet no ones volunteered to write the Tyndrum Chapter and since you've spent some time there you might be the best man for the job. All it needs is a pragraph or two.

Anyway let me know what you think
Cheers
Dan

Boydie

Boydie - Nov 27, 2008 10:40 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Get Scotland on the map!

I'll second what Dan is suggesting, feel free to join in and add the section for Tyndrum (or more) if you want.

Stephen

mountainmanmark

mountainmanmark - Nov 28, 2008 4:28 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Get Scotland on the map!

Totally happy to get involved. A bit snowed under at the mo, yes I know that isn't heard of for students, but the course I'm taking has a 60 hour week schedule! So if you don't mind that it might take a while. I'll clobber something together over the vacation and then send it through for scrutiny :+).

Nanuls

Nanuls - Nov 28, 2008 5:22 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Get Scotland on the map!

Thanks Mark, no worries on the time front, over the holls will be absolutly fine. A 60 hour week though! Good God what sort of course are you doing!?

Anyway, I'll mark your name down against the chapter and give you editing rights to the page, that way you can dip in an out as you get time.

Cheers
Dan

mountainmanmark

mountainmanmark - Dec 11, 2008 4:08 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Get Scotland on the map!

FYI. Got hold of my old climbing mate and he is sending through all the pics from our two weeks in Tyndrum, they will need to be scanned but hopefully they'll be ok. We also spent a lot of time around Crianlarich, so may have some stuff for that section too.

Boydie

Boydie - Dec 11, 2008 4:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Get Scotland on the map!

Hi Mark,
that's good. I'm sure they will be a welcome addition. The Crianlarich section is still open if you fancy adding that as well as Tyndrum, although I know you may be squeezed for time with all that studying!!!
Cheers
Stephen

visentin

visentin - Nov 28, 2008 4:39 am - Hasn't voted

very good job, but...

That's what I initially said: too much for one page. Who's going to read that ?

Nanuls

Nanuls - Nov 28, 2008 5:17 am - Hasn't voted

Re: very good job, but...

Thanks Eric, bu I don't think it's too long, and people will read the information there, even if they just pick out the inormation they need.

Just take a quick look at the highest scoring Area/Range pages on this site, a large proportion of them are big pages with lots of info: Link.

A few exaples:
#1 Glacier National Park, MT
#3 Velebit
#9 Dinaric Alps
#10 Wasatch Range (South)
#13 Skaftafell National Park

This is a big area, so inevitably a lot of information will be included, but information relevant at this level. The real detail will be left to the lower tier area/range and mountain/rock pages.

Dan

visentin

visentin - Nov 28, 2008 5:36 am - Hasn't voted

Re: very good job, but...

Why don't you divide the Grampians in 3 parts (west, central, east) ?
There could be for example one Grampians page to describe the whole geology and mecanism of this range, but to describe every sector as it was made in this page, I think you should divide it..
Yes, there are other big pages like this on SP, but are they good examples ?

Nanuls

Nanuls - Nov 28, 2008 8:27 am - Hasn't voted

Re: very good job, but...

What makes a good page is of course only a matter opinion, and I know that SP's voting system doesn't necessarily promote the very best to the top of the pile, but I do think that the fact that these pages score so highly suggests that they are good examples.

I don't think this page will be too long, and I don't think it matters if no one reads it from top to bottom, or if they read the whole thing at all. After all how many people ever read a guidebook from cover to cover, not very many I'm going to guess, and I count myself among them.

What's important here is that all the right information is located in a logical place, that the information is appropriate to the scale of the area covered and that that it helps direct the reader to more detailed information if they seek it.

If a person is unfamiliar with this area, it’s going to be easier for them to look at one overarching page to direct them to more detailed information, rather than three smaller pages which try to do the same job.

Proterra

Proterra - Nov 28, 2008 6:09 am - Hasn't voted

Jesus, Dan.....

Haven't checked in for ten days and this page is becoming a guidebook meets Hostile Habitats about the Grampians... I stand amazed...

I'll work on the G&C section this weekend.

Eric, check out the comments I left on your Foehn article. I liked it, it's a good article, but the original submission is lacking a bit of technical info.

Cheers,
Clint.

Nanuls

Nanuls - Nov 28, 2008 8:28 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Jesus, Dan.....

Thanks - no problemo!

lcarreau

lcarreau - Apr 8, 2009 12:20 am - Voted 10/10

Hey - you guys

really did yourselves proud on this one.

I can envision Nick Mason, Roger Waters, and David Gilmour playing
their instruments, as the sun rises over this intriguing, (yet
very enigmatic and mysterious) range of lofty mountains.

CHEERS (salud) to you guys for getting together on this one!

visentin

visentin - Apr 8, 2009 5:26 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Hey - you guys

Someone should start now the North-West Highlands !

Nanuls

Nanuls - Apr 8, 2009 5:56 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Hey - you guys

LOL, how about a rest first!

Boydie

Boydie - Apr 8, 2009 7:33 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Hey - you guys

Definitely a rest needed!!!

Viewing: 1-20 of 29
12
Return to 'Scots Team Sandbox' main page