Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 38.20548°N / 112.08627°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11000 ft / 3353 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sevier Plateau is one of a series of high plateaus in Central Utah that sit around 8,000-9,000 feet with peaks that rise just above 11,000. It stretches 75 miles south from near Richfield, Utah to Bryce, Utah. It is separated into northern and southern halves by Kingston Canyon. The Northern Sevier Plateau is capped by Monroe Peak while the Southern Sevier Plateau is topped by Mount Dutton.

The peaks are not as rocky and prominent as those in the Wasatch Mountains to the north, but the region does boast tremendous specimens of wildlife, including elk and mule deer.
Big Lake

Big Lake

Getting There

There are many access points into the Sevier Plateau that use Forest Service roads.
On the West side:
Glenwood (FR 068)
Monroe (FR 078)
Kingston (Monroe Road)
Panguitch (FR 202)
On the East side:
Koosharem (FR 076)
Antimony (FR 1073)
On the South side:
Bryce (FR 121 near Red Canyon)
Autumn In Full Swing
Autumn In Full Swing

Red Tape

The northern section is part of the Fishlake National Forest while the south is part of the Dixie National Forest. Both are managed by the US Forest Service. No permits or fees are required.
Doe Flat

Doe Flat

Camping

There is a cabin in the southern section, which serves as the only official campsite in the entire plateau within the national forests. Other campgrounds are described further below. However, there is a plethora of primitive campsites used by hunters and campers throughout the region. No permits or fees are required, but remember to use Leave No Trace ethics so this method of land management may continue. 
Marysvale, Monroe, Monument Peaks
Marysvale, Monroe, Monument Peaks

Other

Mystic Hot Springs is a quirky little spot in Monroe, Utah, that features multiple baths as well as buses in which you can spend a night.
Piute State Park - fishing, watersports, primitive camping
Otter Creek State Park - fishing, OHV, watersports
Big Rock Candy Mountain Resort - whitewater rafting, traincar camping, RV sites, motel, cabins
Red Canyon is like a smaller version of Bryce Canyon at the southern end of the Sevier Plateau

Monrovian Campground in Monroe Canyon is also a good option.


NATIVE AMERICAN HISTORY
Sevier Plateau was traditionally Paiute land before settlers killed many of them and forced them onto reservations. Treaties were signed to protect their limited rights. However, these were thrown out by the Indian Termination Act of 1953 fought for by Senator Watkins of Utah. The Paiute people lost their status as a federally recognized tribe, thus losing much of the power they needed to stay unified and protect their tribal identity. When the act was finally overturned in the 1980s, only 5 small cohesive bands remained. The Koosharem Band of Paiutes is one of the five remaining Paiute bands in Utah and is located on the east and west side of Sevier Plateau.
The Circleville Massacre of 1866 is an important event in the history of the area that is seldom mentioned. Settlers in the area were spooked by the skirmishes between Utes and settlers further to the North in the Black Hawk War. In response, they captured and murdered dozens of Paiute men, women, and children though the Paiute had maintained their peace with the settlers. This was the worst massacre of Native Americans in Utah. The Circleville Massacre Memorial was created in 2016 to honor the innocent people who perished, remind us of our evil potential, and to encourage us to treat each other better.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.