Ship Rock Comments

Viewing: 1-20 of 27 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

Steven CrossUntitled Comment

Steven Cross

It's about time this one landed on Summitpost. Deffinatly a striking feature in the barron landscape of the 4 corners area.

Great job on the writu up.
Posted Nov 24, 2003 11:22 pm

Dave KUntitled Comment

Dave K

This is indeed an important peak. Thanks for taking the initiative to add it. I remember seeing this peak from many miles away.
Posted Nov 24, 2003 11:24 pm

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Went to a Beckey slide show last week and he indeed did have some slides from a climb on Ship Rock. I was surprised this one was not up on SP yet. Nice job on the page and glad you put it up.
Posted Nov 25, 2003 1:12 am

Fred SpickerUntitled Comment

Fred Spicker

Great job - great photos!
Posted Nov 25, 2003 6:52 am

Aaron JohnsonUntitled Comment

Aaron Johnson

Excellent job! This mountain needs to be on SP, as it could be one of the most difficult in the nation to climb. The link to the climbing report is outstanding and compelling reading.
Posted Nov 25, 2003 11:22 am

Bob BurdUntitled Comment

Bob Burd

Love it. Good work!
Posted Nov 25, 2003 12:06 pm

ScottySUntitled Comment

ScottyS

Excellent idea! I'm really surprised that this significant landmark hadn't been posted before. Great stuff!
Posted Nov 25, 2003 1:16 pm

kletterwebbiUntitled Comment

kletterwebbi

Good that you've added the Ship Rock to SP, good page, great photos.
Posted Nov 26, 2003 1:47 am

Dave DalyUntitled Comment

Dave Daly

Dito to Steven's comments. Interestingly enough, my wife is Navajo and her clan relatives live north of Ship Rock about 5 miles away. Access is still a touchy issue...especially with the family that lives east of Ship Rock (two lone trailers and a hogan). Another area to check out is to the northwest, up at Red Mountain (9000 ft). Went through there after leaving Chinle and it apprears to have rock similar to Red Rocks. Could be older Navajo Windgate sandstone......
Posted Nov 26, 2003 1:17 pm

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

Thanks Dave. If you have any info (or pictures would be great too) that would help out this mountain page, it would be appreciated--especially as it concerns to permits and Navajo usage concerns.

Interesting story of mine while there:

So, I came in from the south road (BIA-5010) and, after driving around getting as many good shots as I could, I wanted to continue north beyond Ship Rock. I figured one of those jeep roads would eventually lead to US-64. Well, I kept going and going. The road went down into a wash area. After two deep (but dry) ravine crossings in the trees with my relatively low Honda Civic, I had had enough and decided to turn around. I knew I had to renegotiate the deep crossings. Rocks and boards had been put into the crossings and these helped immensely. Once back on the south side of the crossings, I aimed east to try and get to US-666. Finally, I managed to find a very steep road up to some power poles. I had finally managed to get to civilization. I believe this is the little community of Rattlesnake. There is a rough, mostly paved road from Rattlesnake back to US-64. I stopped at a gas station in Ship Rock and noticed, only because I got out, that my front license plate was barely hanging on anymore. Rough country out there north of Ship Rock!
Posted Nov 26, 2003 1:34 pm

desainmeUntitled Comment

desainme

The author has circumnavigated the rock photographing it from every possible position. Very nice work
Posted Nov 26, 2003 1:46 pm

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

Actually, I missed the NW and W sides. Those sides are on private land. I probably could have gone over that way undetected but I was lazy. Hopefully, others will post pics and info for the monument.
Posted Nov 26, 2003 7:54 pm

NelsonUntitled Comment

Nelson

Great page for a striking rock.
Posted Feb 13, 2004 4:34 am

Rick BUntitled Comment

Rick B

Cool.. never heard of the thing
Posted Mar 6, 2004 6:34 pm

rpcUntitled Comment

rpc

Nice page Paul.

I think a route up Ship Rock was in Roper & Steck's NA Classic Climbs (I'll take a look at it tonight). Check out this page:

Gary Clark's NA Classic Climbs Page

The author claims the following: "Shiprock, Sierra Club Route: Originally in the collection [R&S classic climbs], I decided to remove it so as not to encourage climbing it illegally. This climb has been closed by the Navajo Nation for about 25 years now, with no expectation of ever opening again. " Wonder if that is really true?

I think I also saw a TR by John Middendorf on his climb of this formation (I could be wrong here but I'll try to find it). <---- EDIT Actually I was wrong - no such TR.

Sounds quite appealing!
Posted Sep 22, 2004 8:01 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

I remember seeing Ship Rock when I was in Farmington New Mexico a number of years a go. Neat page on an interesting peak.
Posted Nov 6, 2004 7:35 pm

CoraxUntitled Comment

Corax

Interesting page.
Posted Nov 15, 2005 9:14 pm

McCannsterUntitled Comment

McCannster

I gotta go there.
Posted Dec 31, 2005 2:27 pm

MichaelJYet another case when MP has much better beta

MichaelJ

There's a good page here that actually addresses the access issues:

Posted Oct 12, 2009 4:46 pm

dmikiRe: Yet another case when MP has much better beta

dmiki

Good info and nice pics.
Posted Dec 6, 2010 11:56 am