Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.31940°N / 72.8866°W
Additional Information Elevation: 4083 ft / 1244 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Camel s hump from the south.Camel's Hump from the south



Camel's Hump is one of the most climbed mountains in Vermont. It is home to a huge number of different routes to the top. There are many characteristics to this mountain that make it highly desirable to hikers all over the region.

Camel s Hump as seen from the...Camel's Hump



The first reason is that Camel's Hump is pretty close in proximity to Highway 89 and the resort town of Stowe, VT. The mountain despite being barely over 4000, also has a natural timberline, leaving the top of mountain with clear panoramas from all sides. On a clear day you can see Mount Marcy, the highest in New York State and Mount Washington, the highest in the northeast as well as all of Lake Camplain, Burlington, VT. and much of the Vermont countryside. Some consider this mountaintop the best in Vermont.

Summit of Camels Hump from...Camel's Hump

 

 Flanders comes up the west...Hiker heading up Camel's Hump



Adding to great appeal of Camel's Hump is it's unique shape. Camel's Hump shape clear stand out among the Green Mountain skyline. Camel's Hump can draw a crowd in summer like most of the popular mountains in the Northeast. But even with the crowd this mountain is well worth it.

Getting There

VIA MONROE TRAILHEAD: From I-89 off of Exit 10. Take Route 2-100 south to the town of Waterbury. Stay on the road through the entire town and then over the bridge. Once over the bridge make a right on Route 100 and then any immediate right on Main St. Take Main St. all the way to a T intersect where Main St. will be on your left and River Road will be straight ahead go straight ahead onto River Rd and take River Road (mostly a dirt road) to Camel's Hump Rd. Take Camel's Hump Rd. all the to an intersection where left will take you to a trail that views Camel's Hump and the right which will take you to the Monroe Trailhead. Take the road on the right ) 0.4 mile to the trailhead.

Red Tape

None on the Monroe Trail side. Just park in the parking area.

When To Climb

View to the north from the...View to the north from near the summit

Camel's Hump can be climb all year round. However avoid hiking Camel's Hump in April and May do to the massive erosion due to mud season. Bring a very strong bug repellent in June due black fly season. You don't want to scratch your pleasant memories away for the next two weeks.

Glacial Erratics on Camel's HumpGlacial Erratics on Camel's Hump

Camping

There is no camping allowed on the summit. The Gorham Lodge on the northern side of the mountain has been removed, however the Montclair Glen Lodge and the Hump Brook campsite are still available for camping.

Camel's Hump is also on the famous Long Trail which stretch from the Appalachian Mountains to the Canadian Border. The trail remains as one classic backpacking treks and can usually be done in two to three weeks.

Mountain Conditions

A couple of website where you can search for mountain conditions would be Green Mountain National Forest at www.fs.fed.us/r9/gmfl or the Green Mountain club at Green Mountain Club .


Summit Picture Log

Post your summit mugshot here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
chilkoot

chilkoot - Mar 2, 2005 9:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

In addition to all the mountains you can see from the summit of Camels Hump, you can also see the skyline of Montreal (about 90 miles to the NW) on exceptionally clear days.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Green Mountains (Vermont)Mountains & Rocks
 
Vermont 4000 FootersMountains & Rocks
 
 
Northeast Alpine PeaksMountains & Rocks
 
 
Vermont County HighpointsMountains & Rocks
 
Long Trail MountainsMountains & Rocks