Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.47890°N / 120.8322°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Mixed, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8840 ft / 2694 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Under New Ownership

This page was transferred to me by Bob Bolton. I am very thankful to be able to adopt and continue to provide lots of information about this wonderful peak here on SummitPost. Some of the text below was written by Bob.

Overview

Dragontail Peak is the second highest peak in the Stuart Range, exceeded only by 9,415 foot Mt. Stuart. The name Dragontail comes from the jagged ridge of rock needles on the thin ridge crest SW of the summit resembling a long spiny trail of a dragon. Rock on this peak is unusually sound and its expansive NW face is one of the finest walls in the Cascades. The north and NE faces are also very impressive. The summit ridge extends about 1/2 mile and includes several summit towers. There is an easy walkup route on the south side of the peak. For scramblers, a climb of Dragontail is a great addition to a backpacking trip to the Enchantment Lakes.

The climbing and mountaineering potential on this mountain is huge. There are routes that will challenge the seasoned climber in both summer and winter as well as a handful of scramble routes to challenge the up and rising mountaineers. Located in one of the most popular areas in the state, solitude is hard to come by but the area is so beautiful it just has to be climbed. Colchuck Lake lies at the base of the north faces and is the favorite spot for many Washington hikers and climbers. A climb of Dragontail Peak will surely bring happiness to anyone attempting any of the many classic routes.

Dragontail Peak reflected in Freya LakeDragontail Peak from Upper Enchantment Lakes
N Face of DragontailThe north face of Dragontail Peak
Dragontail Peak from the trail up Aasgard PassThe northeast face

 

Getting There

There are two trailheads used to climb Dragontail. The choice depends on the climbing route desired. For the rock routes on the north side of the peak, approach via Colchuck Lake. For the walk-up route on the south side of the peak, either the Colchuck Lake/Aasgard Pass approach can be used, or you can hike the Snow Creek trail and ascend to the Enchantment basin from Snow Lakes. Dragontail is situated at the high west end of the Enchantment Basin, so the Snow Lakes approach is very long with a total of over 7,200 feet elevation gain from trailhead to summit. Both approaches are reached via the Icicle Creek road south of Leavenworth. Reach Leavenworth by driving US 2 east from Everett or west from Wenatchee. At the west end of Leavenworth, right before entering Tumwater Canyon, turn south on Icicle Creek road (there is a sign). After 4 miles is the Snow Lakes trailhead parking lot on the left side of the road at 2,200 feet elevation. This huge parking area is the start to the Snow Lakes and Lower Enchantments approach. For the Colchuck Lake approach, continue up the Icicle Creek road and turn left on road no. 7601 (Eightmile Road), eight miles from Leavenworth. Drive 4 miles on this good dirt road to the Mountaineer Creek Trailhead (Colchuck Lake) with an elevation of 3540 feet.

Approaches

Colchuck Lake -

From the Mountaineer Creek trailhead at the end of the Eightmile Road, begin hiking up the trail towards Stuart and Colchuck Lakes. Cross Mountaineer Creek on a good foot bridge and reach the signed junction after a couple miles. Turn left and follow the trail to Colchuck Lake. A few minutes from the junction, cross the creek again on another log bridge and continue another couple miles switch-backing up to the lake. Upon reaching the north side of Colchuck Lake, you will see the awe inspiring north face of Dragontail Peak directly across the lake. This view is a classic Cascades scene. It is 4.5 miles one way to the lake with 2,000 feet of elevation gain. Now the fun begins. Follow the well used boot path around the west side of Colchuck Lake and then continue through the bushes around its south shore. Emerge onto the large talus field and begin ascending towards Aasgard Pass. The trail initially follows the small creek which bisects the huge talus slope on the lower half of the ascent. A few hundred feet above the lake the trail veers off to the climbers left of the creek. At 6,400 feet, make sure you stay left of the small cliff band with the waterfall and stay near the base of the huge cliffs coming down from the Enchantment Peaks. People have died here by straying too far to the right. Follow the trail as it stays well left of the waterfall and reach Aasgard Pass at 7,800 feet. This ascent from Colchuck Lake gains 2,200 feet in 3/4 of a mile! Right before reaching the pass, begin hiking southwest passing a small pond (Mist Pond) and aiming for the huge snowfield on the east face of Dragontail Peak.

Slick Ice Scramble Below Aasgard PassHiking up Aasgard Pass in late fall
Dragontail and Golden LarchesDragontail with larches on the trail to Aasgard Pass
Dragontail Peak ReflectionNF of Dragontail from Colchuck Lake. Aasgard pass route heads up and to the left.

 

Snow Lakes - 

This approach is both longer and has more elevation gain. From the Snow Lakes trailhead, hike the long Snow Lakes trail passing the Snow Creek Wall, on the left, continuing around the north side of Nada Lake and reaching lower Snow Lake after about 6 miles at 5,430 feet. Cross the Snow Lake dam which could be difficult in early season and continue up the well maintained trail but steep trail and reach Lake Viviane at 6,800 feet. This section of the trail has some exposed sections so use caution if wet. From Lake Viviane (which has great camping), wander your way west passing along the north shore of Leprechaun Lake and the east shore of Inspiration Lake. Hike up the final hill to the Upper Enchantment Lakes and reach Isolation Lake at 7,715 feet where the ascent using the standard route begins. The Aasgard Pass/Colchuck Lake Approach will meet this approach about a hundred feet above Isolation Lake to the west.

 

04 Nada LakeNada Lake
Little Annapurna sticks up in...View of Inspiration Lake
Enchantments CampCamping at the base of the std route

Standard East Ridge - Class 2+

This is the standard route up Dragontail peak and involves moderate angled snow climbing and easy Class 2+ scrambling. Although this route is one of the easier routes for any high Bulger, it isn't a cakewalk and good fitness is required to make it happen. See above for approach descriptions. From the base of the east facing snowfield, begin climbing the 35 degree snow slope aiming towards the obvious saddle between the summit ridge to the right and the jagged ridge coming off Witches Tower to the left. This notch is at 8,500 feet making the snow climb roughly 700 feet. In late season, this snow slope turns to ice which increases the difficulty significantly. Once at the notch, continue across a short ways and turn right. You will emerge onto a talus slope on the south side of the peak. Work your way up this talus slope following faint trails when possible. 350 feet above the notch, locate the highest point on the jagged summit ridge (difficult in whiteout conditions) and hike to its base. 10-20 feet of Class 2+ scrambling gets you to the top.

Approaching DragontailBeginning the snow climb
Approaching the Summit of DragontailFresh snow at the base of the summit block
Dragontail Peak's SummitDragontail seen near the notch

 

Dragontail PeakDragontail Peak from Aasgard Pass with the standard route heading up the large snowfield to the notch at center-right

 

Other Route Options

Name Photo Rating(YDS)  Brief Description
West Route
Looking down the west ridge...
Class 3 This route is done using the Colchuck Lake approach. From the north side of the lake, follow the trail around its western shore and locate the Colchuck Glacier heading steeply up to the right upon reaching the south end of the lake. Climb either steep talus or snow depending on the time of year up the left side of the glacier to avoid any crevasses closer to the northeast face of Colchuck Peak. Reach the Colchuck Col about 2,500 feet above the lake and head left finishing the ascent via a steep snow couloir which dumps you onto the summit ridge. Traverse just below the summit ridge to its south side until you arrive at the highest point and scramble to the top.
Serpentine Arete
Serpentine Ridge
Class 5.8 "This route follows a prominent ridge for about 2000 feet on the NW face of Dragontail Peak to just below the summit block. The exact pitch count is not essential as the upper 2/3rds of the route are low 5th class (with some mid-5th steps) and belays can be had at any time. The rating of "grade IV" is from Nelson and Potterfield guidebook and is probably on the conservative side; class 5.8 rating comes from a single pitch!" - rpc
Backbone Ridge
Backbone ridge
Class 5.9 This is another classic line that climbs the 2000+ foot northwest face of Dragontail via the ridge (or “rib”) immediately left of the Serpentine Arete.
Triple Couloirs
Dragontail
Class 5.7/WI3 "A series of three couloirs, separated by short, steep rock bands, cuts up the middle of the north face of Dragontail, offering 2500 feet of great snow, ice, and/or mixed climbing. This route is somewhat popular and generally gets climbed by one variation or another several times each spring. The specific line taken, time required, and type of climbing encountered are entirely conditions dependent however, so that very few climbs of triple couloirs are the same. Triple Couloirs could and likely has been climbed in every condition imaginable, and has even been skied, and it is up to the climber to decide what sort of ice and snow coverage is acceptable for their attempt on any of the established variations." - Z-Man
Northeast Buttress
NE Buttress
Class 5.8 "This route is over 2000 feet tall and is an adventurous climb up steep rock of variable quality. The buttress rises steeply from between the start of the Triple Couloirs and the Northeast Couloir and flattens out as it meets the summit ridge at a prominent notch near 8500 feet. The route follows chimneys and corners for 150 meters to a notch in the crest of the NE Buttress proper. Expect steep, loose, and dirty, but reasonably well-protected climbing. From the notch the crest can be followed over excellent mid-fifth class cracks for about 200 meters to a distinct exposed arete. Past the arete a ledge system is gained trending Southwest, paralleling the buttress 100 meters or so below the crest. Remaining climb is easier to the summit" - Z-man
Southeast Ridge
dragontail/annapurna snow col route
Class 2+ "This is probably the easiest route up Dragontail, although indirect. This route bypasses the east face snowfield if it's late season and very icy. Scramble up the far-west flanks of Little Annapurna to the obvious snow col separating it from Dragontail. Cross over the broad snow-saddle and make for the southern skyline, scrambling up a short class 2/3 section to the ridgetop. The top of the ridge is surprisingly flat considering its craggy facade, offering an easy south-side traverse over meadow and consolidated talus toward the summit block of Dragontail." - Supermarmot

 

Map

Dragontail Peak Map

DARK BLUE: Colchuck Lake/Aasgard Pass Approach

GREEN: Snow Lakes Approach

YELLOW: East Slopes Standard Route - Class 3

RED: West Route - Class 3

PURPLE: Southeast Ridge - Class 3

LIGHT BLUE: Northeast Buttress - Class 5.8

Camping/Red Tape

Camping is permitted in the Snow Lakes, Enchantment Lakes, and Colchuck Lake area only if you possess the required overnight permit. See Red Tape. A number of fee forest camps can be found along the Icicle Creek road near the trailheads. If you are looking for a way around the permit system, you can camp in the Crystal Creek drainage south of the Enchantment Lakes basin by either dropping down from Perfection Lake or by approaching via Crystal Creek from the Ingalls Creek trail. For information regarding the permit system or to apply for a permit visit the Recreation.gov site linked below.

Permits

Seasonal Considerations

For current mountain conditions contact the Wenatchee National Forest, Leavenworth Ranger District.

600 Sherbourne Leavenworth, WA 98826 (509)-548-6977

Click here for recreation conditions in the Wenatchee and Okanogan National Forests.

Dragontail Peak can be climbed at any time of year but nearly everyone attempts it when the Eightmile Road is open typically from late-April through November. Spring climbing can make for awesome skiing conditions and almost always brings lots and lots of snow. Since Dragontail lies east of the crest, it tends to be warmer and have better weather in spring making it a popular peak to climb in May and June when the permit system is not yet in effect.

 

Dragontail and the EnchantmentsSpring Snow

 

Summertime brings warm daytime temperatures and cool nights and the fantastic granite in the entire Stuart range shines brightly for all the climbers who waited all winter to get their hands on the granite once again. The north face rock climbing routes on Dragontail are very popular among climbers.

 

Dragontail PeakSummertime Conditions

 

In the fall, the area becomes world famous for the larch trees that turn golden yellow beginning in early October. After a light snowfall, the air becomes clear and crisp and coupled with peak larch color, the scenery is probably the best in the country for a couple weeks in October. Permit season ends on October 15th and you will always find many people camping in the Enchantments Basin the weekend after October 15th hoping to catch the larches on their waning stages.

 

undefinedLarches in the fall

External Links

Weather Forecast

Dragontail Peak on MountainProject

More photos of the Enchantment Lakes

Triple Couloirs TR and pics

TR and pics of Serpentine Arete

Dragontail Peak via Colchuck Couloir

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-4 of 4

meganerd - May 12, 2002 10:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

In addition to the stated desireable climbing season of July-October, Dragontail is also one of the more reasonable large backcountry peaks to be climbed in the early season. Early season starts whenever the Mountaineer Creek Road opens to the Stuart Lake Trailhead, usually mid-April (call Leavanworth Ranger Station). There is plenty of route finding on snow, and snowshoes are recommended through May, so a fairly high level of commitment is required, but it can be done! as long as the avy danger is low and the snow is firm.

andrew0nline - Oct 21, 2018 9:20 am - Hasn't voted

Incorrect dates for permit season

Hello, Excellent page - very helpful. However I believe that the dates where overnight permits are required are incorrect. The page states that permit season ends on October 15th. However the official USDA.gov page states that permit season ends in Oct 31. https://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/cs/recarea?ss=110308&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&navid=110240000000000&pnavid=null&position=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&recid=58717&ttype=recarea&pname=Colchuck%20Lake%20Trail%20 Thanks, Andrew

Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Dec 25, 2018 6:57 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Incorrect dates for permit season

Oh god...they extended it? That's a shame. Page edited to reflect that. Thanks

Homestarhiker

Homestarhiker - Feb 14, 2021 4:00 pm - Voted 10/10

Ice on the Snowfield

Thanks for the excellent page! By the end of August last year there was an unavoidable swath of smooth ice across the snowfield on the standard route. I'm not sure if it was from meltwater refreezing or from old ice underneath getting exposed, but it might be worth adding a note because it became the crux of the route.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Alpine Lakes WildernessMountains & Rocks
 
Stuart RangeMountains & Rocks
 
EnchantmentsMountains & Rocks
 
Washington Top 100Mountains & Rocks
 
The "Back Court" 100Mountains & Rocks