Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.62241°N / 8.66384°E
Additional Information Elevation: 9606 ft / 2928 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Here again we have a mountain with two different names! Since there are four official languages spoken in Switzerland, mountains which happens to be standing on the border of two language regions obviously are ending up with two names.
Badus is the name in the German speaking province (canton) of Uri and Six Madun, which is a Rhaeto-Romanic name, the mountain is called in the eastern province of Grison.
For me, used to see it from the western side, I refer to it as Badus.
From the west, Badus is tightly connected with the small alpine resort called Andermatt, ideally located in the heart of the Saint Gotthard region, which divides the Alps from north to south.

However, Badus, or Six Madun, is even more connected to Tujetsch, the Rhaeto-Romanic region on its eastern slopes, as its majestic shapes are dominating the landscape of the small villages Tschamutt and Rueras.
Below the summit on the eastern slopes up at 2,345 M, Badus reveals a beautiful little lake with deep blue water, embedded between steep rocks and soft grass sections.
Lai da Tuma, (the Toma lake) is considered to be the well of the river Rhein, which floats 1,320 Km and finally ends up in Amsterdam and into the North Sea.

Badus is a relatively easy one-day climb over its normal routes and up on the summit, Badus offers the visitor a magnificent panorama over the major part of the Swiss Alps but also deep into Italy and Austria. Below I describe the two easiest routes. Badus does not have any glaciers attached on any of its sides so you can leave your crampons at home.

Getting There / Route overview

West flank. See photo A:
From the west, the starting point is Nätschen, a small ski lift refuge up on 1,842 m just above Andermatt. From there, you continue on the road up against Oberalp pass until you cross the small stream called Oberalpreuss close to a small dam. Leaving to road, you cross the hillsides of the neighbour mountain Rossbodenstock, entering the valley called Unteralptal and continue gaining height through grass covered slopes southbound until you reach the west ridge at pt. 2,298 m called Six Madun egg. The ridge is easy and consists of grass and big rocks. Up on the ridge at 2,749 m there is a small plateau, you turn right and follow the ridge up to the summit.

East flank. See photo B:
Going from the east side, you can either start from Oberalp pass or the more remote village of Tschamutt. If you decide to spend the night in a nearby hut for an early morning start you’ll probably choose to stay in either the Maighels SAC hut (2,309 m) or the closely situated Badus SAC hut up at 2,505 m) What ever you decide, you´ll hike up the Lai da Toma on good hiking trails. From the lake, you continue up the south flank, passing through lots of rocks and occasional snowfields until you reach the summit ridge up at 2,749 m from where you easy reach the top.
This route is the number one during winter if you go by ski.

Andermatt is easy reachable from the north and the south with excellent train connections and by good roads. The Furka-Oberalp railway, also known as the “Glacier Express”, takes you to Oberalp pass and continues to Tschamutt and Rueras.
The Oberalp pass you can also reach using the yellow colored post buses.


However, Andermatt is the closest small town resort which offers a various range of hotel accommodations, restaurants, climbing- and skiing gear rental and also a nice camping area.
Andermatt is a cosy and relaxed little alpine village, not as fancy and upscale like Zermatt or St.Moritz but definitely not less charming.

When To Climb

Badus – Six Madun is a good ski mountain during winter/spring season and a nice hiking tour during June to September. Since no glacier traverse, there is no need for any ice axe or crampons.

Camping

Small town with hotel accommodations/ restaurants, camping facilities, equipment rental and train connections:
Andermatt
Andermatt camping

Useful Info

Andermatt – Nätschen >web cam

Maps:
Landeskarte der Schweiz 1:25 000 “Oberalp pass” 1232
Hiking map 1:50 000 ”St. Gotthard”




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.