Krottenkopf

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.54502°N / 11.19473°E
Additional Information Elevation: 6843 ft / 2086 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Krottenkopf is not an especially important mountain, but it is the highest peak of the small Estergebirge in the Bayerische Voralpen (Bavarian prealps).
The Bayerischen Voralpen are situated between the limestone ranges of Wetterstein, Karwendel and Rofan and the upper bavarian plain. The western border (to the Ammergau Alps) is the river Loisach, the eastern the important alpine river Inn (to Chiemgau Alps). The part between the Isar and Inn is called Mangfallgebirge.
The forms are generally gentle, on some parts a little limestone face shows up and provide nice rockclibming (e.g. Plankenstein, Ruchenköpfe, Roßstein und Buchstein). Most summit are between 1600 - 1900 m high. Only in the Estergebirge, a few summit surpass the 2000m-limit. The Krottenkopf is the highest of those.
The Krottenkopf can be climbed all year long. All ascents are relatively long because you have got to start in the surrounding valleys between 600 and 900 m.
The Krottenkopf in the Bayerische Voralpen should not be confused with the Großer Krottenkopf in the Allgäu.

Route Overview

All routes to the Krottenkopf are pure and simple hiking.
All routes are marked on the maps and in the terrain.

1. From Oberau (train station)
Oberauer Steig: first to the saddle between Fricken and Bischof
then traversing the northwest flank of Bischof and to the Weilheimer Hut. From the Hut directly south to the summit
4 hours, 1400 m

2. From Garmisch (train station)
To Esterbergalm, then between Krottenkopf and Bischof in northern direction to the Weilheimer Hut - then see 1
3,5 hours, 1400 m

3. From Klais (train stration) Krün/Wallgau (Bus)
First to Krüner Alm, then over the Michelfeld to the Weilheimer Hut, then see 1
nice winter ascent, relatively avalanche safe.
5 hours, 1200 Hm

Getting There

The Krottenkopf can be climbed from west or east, starting at Eschenlohe, Oberau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Klais, Krün, Wallgau (Isar valley).
Car: From Munich take the highway 95 and then the B2.
Train, Bus: Direct train from Munich to Eschenlohe, Oberau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Klais (hourly), Bus service to Krün and Wallgau

Accomodation

The climb of Krottenkopf is a long daytrip.
But there is a hut for those who want to take it a little more slowly.

The Weilheimer Hut (1955m ) is the highest hut in the Bayerische Voralpen. Owner is the DAV chapter Weilheim (a town between Munich and Garmisch). It is warded during summer and autumn. The winter room is accessible all year long (key required).

More information on this website

External Links



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Bavarian Pre-AlpsMountains & Rocks
 
EstergebirgeMountains & Rocks