Beaver Basin – Via Jackass Pass

Beaver Basin – Via Jackass Pass

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.50230°N / 109.2061°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike ~ Little scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See getting there - Beaver Basin

Route Description


Beaver Basin – Via Jackass Pass
3.0 miles one way
2,350’ of elevation gain
Start at Beaver Basin and follow the jeep trail up through a few switchbacks. Long wheel base vehicles will have trouble negotiating these turns so the hiking will start here. Follow the road and slight trail heading southwest. Gain the ridgeline to you left or southeast, after gaining the ridgeline it is a short distance to Jackass Pass (0.8 miles). From here start contouring southeast around the southwest side of Dry Peak to the saddle between Dry Peak and Manns. Continue up to Manns and descend the other side, contour around the southwest side of another small peak along the ridgeline. This should drop you to the saddle at the base of Tomasaki (2.4 miles). From here is only another 0.6 miles and 600 feet of elevation to the peak. It becomes steeper than most of the route to this point, but a good use trail will help you to reach the peak.

If wanting a little change for the return, stay right before reaching Manns and cross (sidehill) to the small saddle located northeast of Manns. See map for approximate routing.

Essential Gear


Snow - Crampons

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.