Sinbad Gulch

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.38830°N / 113.3157°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike & Rock Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.6
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


All Mileposts are zeroed from the intersection of 6 and 50
From the intersection of US highway 6 and 50 in Delta head west towards Hinckley MP 6.5. Continue of the aforementioned H’way to MP 32.4. Turn right onto the dirt road at the sign ~ Long Ridge Reservoir 7miles ~ Death Canyon 21 miles. This road heads off in northerly direction towards Swasey peak. You will reach the reservoir at MP 39.0 while negotiating some sharp turns; continue to MP 40.8 to the intersection with Notch Peak Loop road, intersecting from the left or west. Continue straight to MP 42.4, Marjum Pass to the left and an alternate road back to H’way 6-50 to the right, continue straight to MP 47.2, Swasey spring to the right, stay straight to MP 51.0, Death Canyon to the left stay straight. From here to the summit the road gets a little rougher but can still be traveled in a two-wheel drive car. At about 54.7 you should encounter a sharp left turn at Sinbad Creek. Start the climb here.
Four-wheel drive will be required during the winter months and might not be passable.

Route Description


From intersection of Sinbad Creek and the road head up the creek bed for 0.3 of a mile or to a point you find comfortable with climbing off to the west or left onto scree.. You can also continue up the streambed and climb the dry waterfalls (ledges). If choosing the scree, than follow this until you reach the cliff bands. You should be looking for a good route that you are comfortable with while climbing the ledges. There are many technical areas in which you can experiment with to reach the upper drainage area. The idea is to regain the streambed that you were previously traveling on. Protection will be needed to navigate this ledge band. After regaining the streambed follow this for the next 0.4 of a mile to the ridgeline. From here turn southeast while gaining another 100’ to the summit.
This is a very steep route with plenty of scree and talus.

Essential Gear


At least 60 feet of rope, good sticky shoes (not rock shoes), a few slings and maybe few cams\nuts.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.