Plantapatsch - Pfaffensee

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.72350°N / 10.48830°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


You'll get to Burgeis - the principal trailhead via SS38 ans SS40 from the south or S40 from Reschenpass in the north. In both cases just follow the Vinschgau / Val Venosta Valley.

Route Description


Altitude gain: 1300m from Burgeis, 500m from Plantapatsch
Duration: 3h from Burgeis, 1h 30min from Plantapatsch
Difficulty: Hike
Trailhead: Burgeis

From the lower station of the Plantapatsch cablecar take the trail marked "4". It heads up the mountain on the eastern side of the cablecar which is hidden by beautiful old pine and larch trees. Once above the timber line you are already rather close to Plantapatsch Hut.

From the hut still follow trail no 4 in the direction of Pfaffensee. After one km to the left trail no 9 turns of and leads to the western shore of the lake. It climbs further towards the upper stations of two ski lifts. After the first but before the second ski lift the trail turns onto the south western summit ridge of Watles and leads to the summit.

Monte Vatles / Watles  photo_id=95106Monte Vatles / Watles  photo_id=95107Monte Vatles / Watles  photo_id=95105

Essential Gear


Usual hiking gear is sufficient.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.