Oak Grove

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.31960°N / 113.4915°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See getting there (Oak Grove Trailhead)

Route Description

Trailhead elevation = 6,540’
Summit Elevation = 10,365'
Trail mileage one way = 5.0+ miles
Total elevation gain (with ups and downs) = around 4,500'

Follow the trail leading off from the Oak grove parking area in a westerly direction for a short distance to a small fork. There is no sign here anymore, but veer right and begin to gain some serious elevation. After 3 miles, 3,350’ of elevation and a load of switchbacks you will arrive to the crest of the trail (elevation 9,850). Continue on trail while losing 150' of elevation to the intersection with the Summit Trail. Turn left and follow to Deer Flat, an open grassy meadow. After crossing the meadow, you head back in the woods again, and again soon come to another grassy meadow at Further Water. At the southwest end of Further Water, you can see Signal Peak in front of you. From here, it looks like nothing more than a tree-covered hill. The trail starts back into the woods and gently up hill again. From anywhere along here, you can simply start bushwhacking to your right, up to the top at 10,365'.

Essential Gear

Lots of water during the hot times of the year. Water was running at Further Water, but I wouldn't always count on it. Bug Spray, sun screen and ass wipe.

No water on 10/16/10.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.