Jewell/Gulfside Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.28600°N / 71.316°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike (Class 1-2)
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions in the "Getting There" section of the main page.

Route Description


This trail starts off from across the parking area at the trailhead for the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail. The trail continues on a gradual slope up above the treeline where you'll start running into some scree like slopes. The trail is class 1 with minimal use of the hands until you reach the Gulfside Trail junction at 3.7 miles. Following the Gulfside Trail away from Mount Washington, you'll head up Mt. Clay's southern ridge line with a few class 2 sections. The total roundtrip distance using this route would be about eight miles in about seven hours. The views from the top are wonderful extending into the Great Gulf, the northern peaks, Mt. Washington and the Southern Presidentials.
Mount Washington photo_id=163564

Essential Gear


Comfortable boots, food/water, camera and inclement weather gear.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.